How not, to use a 6.5 creedmoor

Yep.... The first shot was doo doo.... That happens. What happened after explained it all. Thats the kinda crap that inspires legislation changes.

Yeah, head shots only. People should be arrested for shooting animals anywhere else. Too much suffering, oh how they suffer.

...we need dislike buttons.
I know in some places they do thing's different....when a new president gets elected they tip over trash cans and police cars ect if they dont like them.. I forget some people on here are from those areas. Hopefully its their state that moves for short range only seasons since some condone anything goes thinking.

Last edited:
Video has 6 likes and 17 dislikes and a boat load of negative comments on Youtube. Trial by public opinion says he was outta his league and shouldn't have posted the video. Hopefully they learned something.
We who the 6 likes came from...

So heres one that gets me... He using a magnum for that superior energy margin that allows for bad hits......but.....

Last edited:
WOW. I found a broken off broadhead from a previous year in a big 6 point bull one time. The wound had healed over. Thing was buried deep in a backstrap.
I never thought about it before but I had to go to an archery class about 12 years ago and the one thing they brought out was when you stick your hands in an animal be cautious for broadheads. You could get the your fingers turned into finger steaks.

When I was cutting hundreds of elk a season we'd see on a regular basis elk with healed shoulders, tops of the spine blown of and healed, I've found arrows through the body, broadheads everywhere imaginable, hit them in bone and you'll see all kinds of screwed up messes!
I watched a guy put an arrow into a bull so close it barely cleared his bow and it was in that bull and he figured it would blow through the shoulder, he couldn't move, arrow went 4 inches and stopped. That bull got killed two months later and almost healed over, then another time it blows through both pinning them.

I didn't see any healed area on the side of the buck to show it was the same buck from previous year.........should have been extremely easy to identify with a hole that big to repair....probably had a tough time recording hair....
And with that much blood...and the number of coyote.....doubtful survival...

I didn't see any healed area on the side of the buck to show it was the same buck from previous year.........should have been extremely easy to identify with a hole that big to repair....probably had a tough time recording hair....
In the comments he mentioned a pic he forgot to post of the scar tissue...

Whirl is right. have to read first comment on Youtube. he forgot to have the pic in the vid. So they put it on their facebook page with a link.

He made a poor shot for 600y. Yes he hit the animal in a non ideal place. He however never panicked and started sending a ton of lead down range. It appears he was somewhat patient in placing his next few shots, albeit one was way off target. He recovered his wounded animal and went home with an elk. I grew up on a farm, and I will say I've had to persue a wounded deer or antelope on foor or by motorized vehicle several times due to a poot shot by me self or someone in the party. If you've never EVER made a poor shot on a game animal and all your kills were dead right there hammer of Thor lighting bolt bs or whatever you want to call it, flame on. Lets be real, **** happens. He recovered the elk, didn't appear to have to persue it much, bottom line it was a mixed results hunt, successfully harvested animal, however poor killing methods. I personally sure as hell wouldn't have put it on public internet. I'm sure he learned some lessons that day, about shooting and what to share online.

The problem is he was trying to shoot above his Skill/Competency level!
And he wasn't smart enough to realize that.
I practice on steel/paper not animals and have a firm understanding of just what I can do..Or Can't!.. If in doubt...PASS!!

Exactly. I'm sorry. That idiot was thinking how cool he would be with that elk on his wall. He was not thinking bout shooting. He certainly was not thinking at all when he made the second thru last shots.
There is no cure for stupid. The guy in that video had never shot anything alive at 600 yards. He bought a LONG RANGE gun and a really big scope he probably had set on 30x and trusted the FORCE to do the rest. His experience clearly has been on level ground off a bench. We have all made bad shots. Ive never made two in a row. I like to think that if that guy wasn't a yahoo he would have never posted that video. Clearly he is too stupid to realize just how bad it is. Kinda like being proud of crashing your car while drunk and bragging about walking away.

The tell in that this guy is a moron is the follow up shots. There are some good shooters here. I hope they would all agree that when we miss a shot like that its likley a bad read, angle, wind, distance, etc. The difference is those of us who can shoot would understand instantly from that shot and know intuitively what to correct to make the followup without holding a conference or opting for a life-line call back to the gun shop. And more importantly, if we have to make a second shot our focus on our form and execution goes to another level because we understand our responsibility to these animals is not just a cliche. That clown had no idea what he did wrong the first time so he had no idea what to fix.
You know what they say in the navy, if you can't tie a good knot tie a whole bunch of bad ones. If you can't make a good shot make a whole bunch of bad ones. And someone mentioned Elk fever. Anyone who gets elk fever 600 yards away from an animal has never done this beforeand shouldn't be doing it at all. I'm sorry but this kind of thing really p——-es me off.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.