How not, to use a 6.5 creedmoor

I've seen several cows SMOKED with a 300 WSM and 300 win with accubonds at norm range right where he hit that bull and nothing made it into the chest!
I've hit two cows my self with a 300 WBY and 168 Barnes right there inside 400 yards and it dropped them like I spined them only to have them get back up and when opening them up that shoulder hit never made it into the chest.

No dude, If the leg was the only damage done to the bull he would have skipped right over the ridge on three legs and kept going. They do that dontchya know... The shot was low, but high enough for the bullet or part of it to penetrate into the brisket chest area. Had it been a more potent round it would have gone through and taken out the other leg. Watch the video dude. Prefect broadside shot...

Dude!!! Lol. My point was if his accuracy is questionable with the creed, it would likely be worse with a large magnum. Based on the 5 shots he took, he isn't a real great shot.

It can go the other way to with more HP,Ive many times blew threw both shoulders at range,shot the almost full length of a bull with partition.Seen amazing arrow stuff to threw the spine in elk,my kids first archery bull was right threw thick of shoulder blade is with the area where it is bladed up,75#,15yrd.If stuffed broadhead threw 500 # bear shoulders also,heavy bow,heavy head and ACC

As to the 300 win, 300UM or 338s. Any one of those shooting any 180-250 grain good hunting bullet would have likely dropped that elk on that first shot
Ive helped track plenty of magnum hit elk that actually went down with one through the briscut.... Than get up and carryed on.

Again...a better hit is the answer..

The "oops" should be a very RARe thing or the shot is to far for you or the way your set up to shooting. And I Am talking about long range shooting. More horse power dont justify flinging slugs that hit dirt 50 precent. That shooting is not okay..... People cry the blues and curse a gun that dont shoot less than 1 moa. But then dont freak that guy cant even the fur eveytime? 3 moa would have been hitts that would have worked. Wow....as was mentioned 600 isnt that far....its where mistakes really grow, exterior ballistic challenges and mediocre shooting really shows- but after shooting 1k yards it feels pretty close to me.

You will never convince these that have drank of the Creedmoor Kool-Aid that the 6.5 is not an Elk Cartridge. They are of the "Foot Pounds and BC" School of thought. If their line of reasoning is taken far enough, then the 257 Wby is a fine dangerous game round. A good Elk Cartridge starts at .284 and larger. If your weak ... can't handle the recoil, then stay where the Deer and the Antelope play. Yes, people kill elk with the 243 Win. I watched a guy shoot one 5 times with a BLR in that caliber before it fell, the final round placed in the neck. Put enough bullets in an Elk and it will eventually die. The elk on this video deserved better than these 6.5 worshippers gave it.

Comments like this make me laugh - so a 7mm08 is more of an elk cartridge than a 264 win mag or a 26 Nosler? At some point velocity and energy at impact matter more than bullet diameter.

Looking at the the tables , a 375h&h with 250 ttsx has the identical drop at 600 yards as a 140 out of the 6.5. Creed Why even mess around? I would go big and in the event the bullet hit a less than perfect shot , i would hope to at least put the animal in the dirt so he doesn't play hide and seek that fella did

How many of you guys would have shot that bull better after that first shot, I guarantee not many, I've watched to many bragging big talkers completely loose their cool after hitting an elk the first time, heck I've hit enough elk I'm actually usually pretty comfortable dumping an elk at 600 moving but the next day I completely RIP a shot at a bull standing there thumbing his butt at close range!

At some point velocity and energy at impact matter more than bullet diameter.
and recovered eldx .264 bullets become .500 bullets on impact....at least at the distances i shoot animals with them. Those are recovered from 2 elk.
0106171819a.jpg

This has reinforced why I won't hunt public land! People do as they want as is their right. On my partners and my land WE make the rules like no 222.. 223..22-250's
For deer hunting. Some years we do does only. No skyline shooting and proving you can shoot BEFORE we go out. The problems have about ceased!

I would have and so would several I hunt with.Its just an elk.I shoot til there down,with old 10x I shot bull in slide chute 6 for 8 at 800 yrds.I was standing,resting rifle against mountain maple.Guys I grew up with shot 14 elk out of one basin on opening dayhunts and shots where far.We grew up chasing elk since kids.The guy mentioned was a nation 1000 yrd champ at 13,almost made olympic team.I was not joking when I said Ive seen kids do better.

How many of you guys would have shot that bull better after that first shot, I guarantee not many, I've watched to many bragging big talkers completely loose their cool after hitting an elk the first time, heck I've hit enough elk I'm actually usually pretty comfortable dumping an elk at 600 moving but the next day I completely RIP a shot at a bull standing there thumbing his butt at close range!

Usually if the first shot is a hit, I have more confidence in shots that follow - it means that my wind and elevation were good etc. it is when I miss a first shot that the stress level goes up a little.

Last edited:
Usually if the first shot is a hit, I have more confidence in shots that follow - it means that my wind and elevation was good etc. it is when I miss a first shot that the stress level goes up a little.
Thats been my experience. Calm as a christian with 4 aces unless theres an issue. I would probly get worse if i blew his nose off.

No dude, If the leg was the only damage done to the bull he would have skipped right over the ridge on three legs and kept going. They do that dontchya know... The shot was low, but high enough for the bullet or part of it to penetrate into the brisket chest area. Had it been a more potent round it would have gone through and taken out the other leg. Watch the video dude. Prefect broadside shot...

You can actually see the impact in the video. Like you said it was low and a little forward. 3" left and it would be a double lung (if it wasn't already). 3" left and 5" higher and it would have been in good spot.

At about 3:50 on the video you can see across to where the elk was for the first and last shots. Between the wind on the ridge from where they were shooting from and the lack of wind down by the elk for the last shot, I'd say the guy did pretty good on his first shot. There was a big difference in wind from the trees swaying on top of the ridge line and the surface wind around the elk. I have see POI shift a lot going across valleys in wind like that.

I find it sickening that people are so critical on a hunting forum and are commenting on suffering, bad shots, ethics, calling them idiots...... about this video. If hunters are so negative when they see a video of an elk hunt, I can only imagine the sport will be dead soon or regulated out of existence. I would also point out that the "sky line" shot was most likely more of an optical illusion of the camera than anything else. When you see the valley zoomed out, the missed shot over the elks back hit the dirt, and a cow run behind the bull 25 yards back and 10ft higher then the bull.... I think that what people think is the ridge line from the camera went on for 70 yards and was actually 20ft higher then the elk. But whatever, I tend to give the benefit of the doubt considering I wasn't there and things can look a lot different on camera.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.