How much weight/distance for backpack training?

Calvin45

Deadlifts and my previously recommended “farmers walks” have tons of carryover for another hunting reality...having to drag a dead animal out of the bush, or across a field, or through deep snow, or up a hill, or having to get it into a truck box if you’re alone. These exercises develop the strong hands and wrists and upper body in way that a heavy backpack has little effect on. These drags always make me grateful when I’ve got a buck and not a doe, even if he’s heavier by a good bit, the handles help

StanB

Some great comments above on weight amounts & distances, etc., and I too have found that squats, deadlifts, and farmer-carry have helped quite a bit. One thing I like to add during my rucks is some serious side-hilling to work the ankles and lateral (?) muscles / tendons in the hips and knees. Don't just go straight up/down the hills, get some side hilling in. Seems to pay off when hunting with better stability & balance when loaded up.

KurtB

I am doing about 30-32% of body weight in pack weight. Carrying it 2.5 miles around neighborhood in the mornings. Trying to get to a set of 200 steps 2x a week as well, sometimes carrying the 72 pound pack up and down those a few times. Nothing beats just packing weight for me.

Puddle

I'm getting real close to 66, weighing anywheres between 198 - 202 lbs year round (depending on how often I drive by a DQ). I hike in the foothills around my shack 6 days a week, 4.5 - 5 miles/day. On alternating days I'm packing either a 20lb, a 30lb, or a 50lb slab of iron on my back. I'm always carrying a Garand with no sling. On average it takes me 1 hour and 20 - 30 minutes to do the loop; much longer if conditions call for snowshoes. Usually back at the shack by 8am to start the rest of my day. The rest of my day includes 30 situps and pushups 3 times a day.
Why the Garand? because after packing that year 'round any rifle I'm hunting with feels like one of those ultra-lightweight numbers everyone talks about.

deerhunter64

In addition to my normal weight work outs , I normally start taking hikes with about 35 pounds of weights inside my hunting pack a month or so before the hunt. The altitude used to be difficult to simulate but now I live at 8000 feet so that is not an issue anymore.

Latest Classifieds

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce