Dieting for Mountain Training and weight loss

We all need a trashy hound to chase around!! I was in the best shape of my life when I coon hunted every night and cut wood. Now I don't have dogs or cut wood I need to lose 30lbs.

Anyone Use a rowing machine? I have been debating on getting one to break up the treadmill cardio monotony. I am finding out I can't lift heavy and function like I used to and can't do bench or pull-ups with out impingement so I have been contemplating getting a decent rower🤷🏻‍♂️. Thoughts?

Anyone Use a rowing machine? I have been debating on getting one to break up the treadmill cardio monotony. I am finding out I can't lift heavy and function like I used to and can't do bench or pull-ups with out impingement so I have been contemplating getting a decent rower🤷🏻‍♂️. Thoughts?

I've personally never used a rowing machine but have a Bowflex Max Trainer & would highly recommend them for cardio & endurance!

I say go here: https://www.goruck.com/
Buy this (get the "long," so you can go up to 45lbs): https://www.goruck.com/products/ruck-plate-carrier?variant=42138706804836
Plus a couple of these: https://www.goruck.com/collections/ruck-plates
Get up early and get moving (even when it's super cold but NEVER when it's icy).
You can ruck anywhere/anytime that it's not icy. No need to go anywhere (like a gym)... Just walk out your front/back/garage door. You just need a sidewalk, road, path, etc.

I'd say start with 10, 20, or 30lbs and work your way up.

Careful. take it slow. Every other day or every third day to start is probably good (for carrying weight). Go 45 minutes a day, every day (just don't carry weight every day). You can ramp up quickly. It may not feel like much but it will catch up to you quickly and you can/will injure yourself.

I overdid it and had hip and knee pain (45 minutes daily, with 30lbs, was too much to start). I took a week off carrying weight and just walked. I eased back into carrying weight and now I always use weight. It might be uncomfortable for awhile, especially the weight on the shoulders but just work through it for a few weeks. It's just gonna suck for awhile but push through.

I've gone almost daily, sometimes twice/day for seven months now (always with weight now). I'm up to 50lbs (45lb plate plus 5 dumbbell). I've sense upgraded to a full pack as I've progressed beyond 45 lbs. It's getting icy here, so sometimes I do it on the treadmill (sooo boring).

The consistent rucking started when I did the "75 Hard" program in the spring/summer of 2023. That is a life changing experience. It's out there and it's totally free. It's not a weight loss or fitness challenge but... It's more than that but it'll get your *** in shape and then some.

Pro tip:
Get your wife or significant other into too. It's a great way to spend some time with them... Suffering together is quality time. My wife and I go together every day, Mon.-Fri. If you have a dog, they'd probably think you're cool if you bring them along too.

Burn more calories than you eat and you'll lose weight. First recommendation is hike with a 50lb pack. Short hikes of 1000' vertical seem to go a long ways. If you can't do that I'd recommend a rowing machine as that's a great all body workout that builds cardio as well as mental toughness. If you can row for 30 min, 3-4 times per week you'll be ahead in a big way.

Or you could just buy a canvas bag and fill it with sand and put it in the pack you're actually going to hunt with.

A rower used with proper form (research the form, don't just dive in and go for broke) is fantastic exercise. It works most major muscle groups, and is a great tool for cardio simultaneously. In my high school days, my off season football workouts were 30-45 minutes hard on a rower followed by my weightlifting choice for the day. I was never in as good of shape, and I relish having the time or energy to work out like I used to. But the rower was a key component to staying in that shape.

A rower used with proper form (research the form, don't just dive in and go for broke) is fantastic exercise. It works most major muscle groups, and is a great tool for cardio simultaneously. In my high school days, my off season football workouts were 30-45 minutes hard on a rower followed by my weightlifting choice for the day. I was never in as good of shape, and I relish having the time or energy to work out like I used to. But the rower was a key component to staying in that shape.
Thanks for that. I figured with my Scoliosis and other back issues form would be a must! Second part of that question. Do I bite the bullet and get a good one right away (concept2/other)or get an Amazon special that can handle my weight for 1/3 the price?

Thanks for that. I figured with my Scoliosis and other back issues form would be a must! Second part of that question. Do I bite the bullet and get a good one right away (concept2/other)or get an Amazon special that can handle my weight for 1/3 the price?
Honestly, spend $30 at a local gym that has a rower and will let you do a trial week. Go try out the rower first. We have several gyms local that have onsite trainers, and you can get a free trial and usually a free training session to start things off. Get a pro to show you proper movement and form, and test the motion before you dive all in.

Assuming that goes well, then buy once cry once is always your best bet.

Those of you who are serious about exercise and fitness help me out here. I need a reason to change my diet and preparing for a high country elk hunt seems like a good reason.
I'm about 25 lbs over weight and I'm getting close to 40. I'm planning on hunting elk in western WY this year, pending a tag, I hate waiting on the draw results... Anyway I suppose it would be a good idea to start getting in shape and preparing physically for the hunt. I started last week rowing and walking on the stair climber with a 30lb pack. It's not the same as rucking in the mountains but it's as close as I can get during lunch break, so It will have to do for now. When it warms up I'll go outside and climb the hills near my house.
I have never been good at eating healthy. I have always compensated for my over eating by exercising more. However at this point in my life o don't have time for that and it takes hours to work off what it takes seconds to eat.
What do those of you who eat healthy do to stay on track when no one else around you eats right?
I'm 76, pretty fit. Wenyt on KETO last year and lost about 30 lbs in 4 months. Didn't miss anything. Walk in city about 3 miles per day. Still do construction work as self employed. You should be able to drop the weeight in fat and pick up some in muscle.
Good luck Kid
Mike

If you really want to loose weight you have to plan out what you are going to eat and count the calories. You have to make sure you are in a calorie defecit. It's a pain in the butt. A lot of guys recommend a few foods that are healthy. The truth is you can get fat eating anything if you eat too much. You could get fat eating chicken breasts and broccolli. Planning your meals when you get older it's the best way.

Figured I'd get everyone's opinion as I catch the devil loosing weight any more, when I need to loose about 15-20 before my next sheep hunt.

My average day lately is 3-4 eggs in the morning with a cup of coffee(bit of creamer) no lunch, large diner of protein and 1-2 vegetables. On the weekend I do eat lunch, maybe 1 drink on friday and/or saturday night.

Recently went from 3-5 days a week working out the past 6 months trying to gain strength(which i have) and a halfway decent diet, to 7 days a week and the diet above and see no change. Here's my prime example of a week.

Monday - 1 to 1:15 long, weights, chest, then 100 flights on stair climber(no hands)
tuesday - 1:30 long - weights, arms, 150 flights on a stairclimber
wednesday - 1 hour with 55lb pack, fast walk 75%, jog about 25% of the time
thursday - 1:30 long -weights, back - 75 flights on stairclimber then 30 minute on treadmill 5-15 degree at 3-4 mph
friday - weights - legs - press, squats, etc then 30 minute treadmill 5 -15 degree
saturday - 4-5 miles with a 55lb pack
sunday - walk a few miles then up and down stairs for about 20 minutes with pack

As i get closer I add alot more stair climber, weighted 18" step ups, sled drag and running.

Thoughts?

Figured I'd get everyone's opinion as I catch the devil loosing weight any more, when I need to loose about 15-20 before my next sheep hunt.

My average day lately is 3-4 eggs in the morning with a cup of coffee(bit of creamer) no lunch, large diner of protein and 1-2 vegetables. On the weekend I do eat lunch, maybe 1 drink on friday and/or saturday night.

Recently went from 3-5 days a week working out the past 6 months trying to gain strength(which i have) and a halfway decent diet, to 7 days a week and the diet above and see no change. Here's my prime example of a week.

Monday - 1 to 1:15 long, weights, chest, then 100 flights on stair climber(no hands)
tuesday - 1:30 long - weights, arms, 150 flights on a stairclimber
wednesday - 1 hour with 55lb pack, fast walk 75%, jog about 25% of the time
thursday - 1:30 long -weights, back - 75 flights on stairclimber then 30 minute on treadmill 5-15 degree at 3-4 mph
friday - weights - legs - press, squats, etc then 30 minute treadmill 5 -15 degree
saturday - 4-5 miles with a 55lb pack
sunday - walk a few miles then up and down stairs for about 20 minutes with pack

As i get closer I add alot more stair climber, weighted 18" step ups, sled drag and running.

Thoughts?
I dont think you are eating enough to help burn that fat. Try stopping eating from 7:00 pm to 11:00 am than eat your eggs and maybe a protein shake with an apple or some fruit. Maybe a small snack of nuts or something similar mid afternoon. Have a good sized supper with greens and veggies. If I do all this and take in around 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight(i weight 220 so 220 grams protein) I loose weight and gain nice strength. Also throw in some HIIT workouts to help pic your metabolism up a bit. This is Hight Intensity Interval Training. There are some good ones on YouTube. There are a few 5-8 minute ones I do and they blast your body good! Helps build endurance as well. I found as I get older I need to do those fast major blood pressure building exercises more than long cardio to burn fat and keep in better shape like your sled drag and wind sprints. There are more scientific terms used to talk about Ketosis(?)and all this stuff that I forget but I have found it works if I can keep it up!