Adding training weight to KUIU

• Thread starter Deleted member 107666
  • Start date
I have used anything I could find around to add weight. I have used bags of corn, salt, cement. I typically use the load sling for the heaviest weight and just keep my hiking gear in the main pack.

I use Rubber 45 lb. weights from the gym and get on the stair climber. When hiking the hills, I put in a 50 lb. bag of salt in the pack with a few other things to get the weight up to 60 lbs. That is my favorite pack weight to train with.

I have a Kifaru, so I'm not worried about the extra miles as I am confident it's up to the task. As far as how I train, 40lbs of wood pellets in a zip-tied USGI laundry bag is the standard. Every once in a while I'll throw in another 25lbs that I have in a smaller bag that I got from David at NTColorado.com. I think that you should train with whatever pack you plan on hunting with and if it isn't up to the task of every day use perhaps you should look into getting one that is if you are using it that much. The ability to cancel my gym membership by doing ruck training will pay for my pack within 2 years.

Bear Komplex makes heavy duty courdura sand bags that Velcro shut on the end. They are tubular and each tube takes about 20 lbs of sand.
Great for changing weight variances and easy to handle.

I use a Kifaru pack with various types of weights (sacks of corn, salt, concrete, free weights, etc). I also carry an extra amount of drinking water in bottles and camelbak water bladders. I carry more water than I will drink while I train so I can get used to the sloshing effect of the water, just for those days hunting that extra water is needed. Also, I feel the effects of doing this on some of the secondary muscles in my shoulder, back and hips.

I've been using a Kuiu ultra 3000 for several years. I've used dumbells, rocks, soda bottles, etc. Started using the "dry bags" from Wally-world a couple years ago, filled with sand. A couple different ones loaded to different weights have worked well, and give a good distribution. Also got the Outdoorsman pack with the weight post. It's ok at 45-60#, but the post/pack flex a lot with 75-90#.

I use a Kifaru pack with various types of weights (sacks of corn, salt, concrete, free weights, etc). I also carry an extra amount of drinking water in bottles and camelbak water bladders. I carry more water than I will drink while I train so I can get used to the sloshing effect of the water, just for those days hunting that extra water is needed. Also, I feel the effects of doing this on some of the secondary muscles in my shoulder, back and hips.

Edit...Whoops...I replied to the wrong Kifaru post, mean to quote the one above yours regarding the Kifaru being up to the taste of the extra miles of wear/tear.

I'll second the Kifaru quality/comfort, after switching from a KUIU Icon Pro. Night and day. The Kifaru tactical frame loads up 70lbs like a champ, the KUIU creaked and strained and was pretty uncomfortable for me at that same weight. NOT a knock on KUIU, it is an excellent pack for the weight. But going that lightweight does seem to effect performance/comfort. The Kifaru is certainly heavier, but everything is a tradeoff.

I settled on using a 50lb bag of sidewalk salt...and then found a bunch of 10lb bags at Home Depot to supplement it. Just drop the entire bag right into the Kifaru bag, no need to go into load hauling mode like I had to with the KUIU. And when the salt bags start to wear a whole (only had one give out since I started this thread), i just dump it into the big plastic bin i keep my salt in for the driveway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rogue fitness sells shredded rubber which fills out your pack much better than sand, but the salt, corn, and pellet ideas seem excellent too. For me, I use two 25 lb bags of lead shot. The trick to lead shot is being able to carry it higher in an internal pocket so it doesn't hang like a soggy diaper. I use a small tactical quality camelback that keeps the shot higher and against my back.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.