How much weight/distance for backpack training?

Deadlifts and my previously recommended "farmers walks" have tons of carryover for another hunting reality...having to drag a dead animal out of the bush, or across a field, or through deep snow, or up a hill, or having to get it into a truck box if you're alone. These exercises develop the strong hands and wrists and upper body in way that a heavy backpack has little effect on. These drags always make me grateful when I've got a buck and not a doe, even if he's heavier by a good bit, the handles help

Some great comments above on weight amounts & distances, etc., and I too have found that squats, deadlifts, and farmer-carry have helped quite a bit. One thing I like to add during my rucks is some serious side-hilling to work the ankles and lateral (?) muscles / tendons in the hips and knees. Don't just go straight up/down the hills, get some side hilling in. Seems to pay off when hunting with better stability & balance when loaded up.

I am doing about 30-32% of body weight in pack weight. Carrying it 2.5 miles around neighborhood in the mornings. Trying to get to a set of 200 steps 2x a week as well, sometimes carrying the 72 pound pack up and down those a few times. Nothing beats just packing weight for me.

I'm getting real close to 66, weighing anywheres between 198 - 202 lbs year round (depending on how often I drive by a DQ). I hike in the foothills around my shack 6 days a week, 4.5 - 5 miles/day. On alternating days I'm packing either a 20lb, a 30lb, or a 50lb slab of iron on my back. I'm always carrying a Garand with no sling. On average it takes me 1 hour and 20 - 30 minutes to do the loop; much longer if conditions call for snowshoes. Usually back at the shack by 8am to start the rest of my day. The rest of my day includes 30 situps and pushups 3 times a day.
Why the Garand? because after packing that year 'round any rifle I'm hunting with feels like one of those ultra-lightweight numbers everyone talks about.

In addition to my normal weight work outs , I normally start taking hikes with about 35 pounds of weights inside my hunting pack a month or so before the hunt. The altitude used to be difficult to simulate but now I live at 8000 feet so that is not an issue anymore.

I just carry the weight my pack out usually is a couple times a week; usually a 55 pound kettlbell and a gallon of water. for me it's more of a cardio workout than a strength workout though. I like to do hill intervals on my range's rimfire course (a 1 mile trial with 22 gongs at 10 stations) and shoot positions with and without the backpack on. Makes for some good stress and field shooting.

I pack 50lbs on the outdoorsmans atlas trainer 2-3 x week 4 miles with 800' elevation gain and loss. As I get closer to spring bear in late May I will do that loop twice at least once per week and one of the 4 mile packs I will go up to 70lbs.

My wife thinks I'm crazy, but I wear a 35 LB weighted plate carrier (InVest), similar to mil armor vest, while doing yard work, walking the dog, mowing the lawn, etc... It really works the shoulders, lower back and legs, and keeps me fit and trim for hunting season. I do get looks from the neighbors walking the dog with a mil plate carrier with all the molly attachments.

My wife thinks I'm crazy, but I wear a 35 LB weighted plate carrier (InVest), similar to mil armor vest, while doing yard work, walking the dog, mowing the lawn, etc... It really works the shoulders, lower back and legs, and keeps me fit and trim for hunting season. I do get looks from the neighbors walking the dog with a mil plate carrier with all the molly attachments.
As long as you're wearing pants, who cares what the neighbors think...

I find weight is more an issue than distance for me, but from my time in the Army, everyone is different. Quality of the pack and how the weight is loaded makes a difference too. Keep it tight and high whenever possible. Packs with hip straps are nice, but weigh more right off the bat.

20lbs is probably a good starting point. If your shoulders, backs and knees dont complain too much, go to 30 and then add 5lbs at a time after that is my recommendation. Think more in terms of "how much will I need to carry in the field" and less percentage of body weight. Needing 45lbs of gear for a specific trip wont really fluctuate if you weigh 175 or 225.

30% seems to be a good number for pack weight I'm 200lbs and will do 60lbs at least 20 miles once a week and sleep at high elevation to get use to the elevation the best exercise for packing in my opinion is repeated dead lift a strong core and back make a world of difference hiking it's not all just legs
I agree completely. My legs were never the weakest link. My shoulders hurt pretty quickly and then my back would start around mile 8 or so. It's been a few years since then though... I'm sure it's less now lol.

Or....
Not pants.

Attachments

• image (2).jpg
    image (2).jpg
    443.6 KB · Views: 166