How many bullets do you try in new rifle?

3...........These days ($$$), I take a quick look at QuickLoad, and manuals, and pick the best Hodgdon powder that nearly fills the case and delivers top velocities, the appropriate CCi primer, the correct type and weight of bullet for that rifles intended use, 1 Hornady, 1 Sierra, and 1 Nosler. If tweaking charge and seating depth does not do 1" at 100, that rifle makes a hasty retreat, and I start with a new rifle.

Those otm-hyb are used in which of your guns? I have some, but haven't loaded any yet for an AR's in 6.5creed or 260rem. What was the outcome on usage?
I use them in quite a few.
6.5CM
6.5SLR
.260AI
20" 6.5SS

They are extremely accurate, have good BC for the weight, easy to tune, and absolutely wicked on game. My daughter is a surgeon with her 6.5SLR. Pushes the 130 OTM @ 2925fps. She has taken 3 big mule deer bucks @ 454, 532, 637. Also 4 pronghorn bucks @ 260, 381, 391, 771.

Last edited:
So how many do you test in a new rifle.
This depends on personal preference and intended purpose. My .270 AI was built primarily for heavy bullets in 2012, particularly the 165/175 Matrix bullets. Yes, Matrix is no longer making these bullets because the newest owner only does pistol bullets. However, I acquired enough bullets for the life of the barrel. Today, the Berger 170 is the only bullet I will consider using.

Hopefully 1 bullet.
I usually have a combo or three in mind when I buy a rifle, and if that doesn't work, I'll have a fallback or 20 around to try. When I find a bullet working in a couple of rifles I'll lay in some supply. I also do this with powder/primers. I've got a "fair" amount of powder around, but I should have picked up a bit more of a few powders before covid hit. I really hate to burn up 50–60-dollar a # powder perforating paper, and I loathe buying it at that price.

I'm about to impose a 200 shot limit on barrels, after a run of bad luck recently.
These were confirmed to be bad AFTER I wasted too much time and too many components.
By the manufacturer
I think everyone's been there or will be eventually. I know I've virtually roasted a couple of barrels trying to find a load that's acceptably to me. It's a bit tough lately to get a barrel spun on around here, so there are rifles I simply don't shoot much to save them. Then I have a couple rifles that are either "garbage cans-they'll eat anything I shove in 'em well enough for paper" or not very overbore that get shot a lot.

Hopefully 1 bullet.
I usually have a combo or three in mind when I buy a rifle, and if that doesn't work, I'll have a fallback or 20 around to try. When I find a bullet working in a couple of rifles I'll lay in some supply. I also do this with powder/primers. I've got a "fair" amount of powder around, but I should have picked up a bit more of a few powders before covid hit. I really hate to burn up 50–60-dollar a # powder perforating paper, and I loathe buying it at that price.
I know exactly what you mean. I do not know if you've seen this thread I started in December 2020 - "My" never leave the local gun store empty-handed rule ...

https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...the-local-gun-store-empty-handed-rule.255740/

I "test" until I'm happy with the results, this is my 7mm-08 hunting rifle that prefers Speer 130 Hot Cor bullets (I've tried feeding it premium bullets to no avail). 5 shots @100yds. (flyer is clean cold barrel).

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 25
A good rifle will shoot everything well. If you want to "shoot" get a .223. Yes, test but pick a bullet and known load data and seat .02 off the lands. .280Ai is not hard to get to shoot great if you have a good rifle.

There is a new thinking that we spend way too much time on testing and getting very anal with our reloading procedures.

I once bought a brand new Remington Sendero in .300 Ultra specifically to shoot the 230grain Berger, it didn't like anything over 180 grains but was sub moa with about any 180, I sent it down the road. My current plaything is a 7mm RM that I bought for bullets in the 160 grain class, hopefully it likes something that's available.