How many bullets do you try in new rifle?

All depends on application and time/resources. Hunting rifles get a bullet with proven terminal performance in the velocity range I'm expecting. If I can't make it shoot, then I'll look around for an alternative. My .300 win absolutely hates 165gr trophy bonds. I could never make them shoot in it, even though that's hands down my favorite bullet. So I save those for my 30-06 and use 180gr Norma oryx for the .300.

For a play rifle, it's all about chasing the bugholes. In that realm, buy as many as you can and just go to town

About this many....plus a few more.
20221016_125526.jpg

so, the way I did my 257 Roberts was kind of a shot in the dark.
I built it for coyote and to hunt deer out of state. after some reading i choose the 75-grain hammer
I picked h335 after having great success with it in other calibers.
and in the end, I got a group smaller than a dime at 50 yards.

when I built my 9.3x62mm it was a different story bullet selection was more limited
i tried 286gr Hornady's but was getting odd pressure signs at starting loads.
i went with 270gr Speers do to availably and price. after switching to standard primers pressure signs went away and i got the gun to group.

You choosing the 280 ai i would look at what you're hunting and the max distance you'll be shooting.
what is available/easy to more if the gun likes it.

To my disbelief I did a QL test on 7-08 22" with 171mb. It was still supersonic past 1 mile or 1k? I'll have to recheck again.

It seems just like most things in rifle shooting/loading, there are a variety of preferences. It really depends on the purpose and priorities of the shooter. I enjoy the challenge and mental exercise of experimenting with different components. It's similar to going on a trip or a hunt. Sometimes the planning, preparation and anticipation is as enjoyable as the actual experience once you are there.

It seems just like most things in rifle shooting/loading, there are a variety of preferences. It really depends on the purpose and priorities of the shooter. I enjoy the challenge and mental exercise of experimenting with different components. It's similar to going on a trip or a hunt. Sometimes the planning, preparation and anticipation is as enjoyable as the actual experience once you are there.
Absolutely nothing wrong with that. There's a lot of gratification when you find something that works really well. I developed ammunition as a profession so my perspective is different. Now I just want to be out there scouting, shooting or hunting. I still enjoy reloading. It's fun to make ammo. But to be out there away from everyone and everything turns my crank. It's a spiritual experience.

Recent Posts