How many bullets do you try in new rifle?

I shoot at two different clubs. The "closer" club is 145mi from my home. I have to leave at 5am just to beat the NYC traffic that I go through. I shoot at least once a week. Yup - it's an addiction!

And I thought my shooting range should be closer to the house. I should've put my bench "on" the back porch….. it'd almost 50 yards away! 🙀 memtb

So your saying I need to expand my bullet selection…. I think addiction is a good description.

If I didn't have to drive 30 or so minutes to shoot, I would go broke, but would go broke with a smile on my face.
Yes! Except for my marriage to my lovely wife of 41 years, variety is a spice of life. 🤣

Mine is only a 10-15 minutes drive; my hunt area is 30-45 minutes; life is good. However, time is at a premium for me these days. 🤬

Last edited:
HH 143 has shown the most consistency. Obviously the HH 120 has shown the most speed. Too early to tell where this will end. I'll probably add the CEB and Hornady offerings to the list.

I tend to try more variations of powder rather than bullets. This approach may have started a couple years ago when recommended powders were difficult to find so I started trying whatever I could get my hands on. In my 280AI, most of my load development has been with the 143gr HH using H4350 and H4831SC, so I'm glad to hear your positive report on that bullet.

Some rifles are for just plain fun. For those, I'll try all kind of bullets, looking for value.
Some rifles are for serious business. For those, I will do my research, see what people have had success with bullet/powder combination. Pick two and go to work. If not successfull, try two different ones. I have been usually lucky this way. Am I getting the best results? Probably not. Meet's my goals.
My new process, once it cools down, will change, to incorporate modelling. I don't care if I get backlash on this one.

Even though I have a few loads that I call good, I'll still test bullets across different weight classes. 139-142, 162-168, 180 and up. Have some 150's that I haven't even tapped into yet.
Don't really care if I burn a barrel, every shot fired is also practicing on form.

Hunting, the first bullet I hit that will hover around 1 moa or smaller, I'm done. Must my target stuff as I recall is usually somewhere in the first 3 to 5 bullets I try with a little research before I start load development. Just my take on the question... Cheers

Burning barrels is just part of what we do. Factor that into the overall cost. How we burn those barrels up is what's in question. For ME I don't desire to shoot bugholes at 100 yards all day. I work up a decent or great load and test to past it's limitations. That way when it's game time I'll know what the whole system is capable of.

And I thought my shooting range should be closer to the house. I should've put my bench "on" the back porch….. it'd almost 50 yards away! 🙀 memtb

That's nice and close. Mines at the front of the driveway. About a 200 yard commute. 😩Worse yet my buddies 900 yard range is all of a mile and a half from my front door. We're pretty lucky.