How many bullets do you try in new rifle?

Mark37082

I think I may have a problem. I just can't stop trying new bullets and probably will burn a barrel out before testing is complete. The wise and experienced person would probably focus on tried and true bullets and leave well enough alone. I do know that sometimes a particular rifle/barrel has preferences that shoot well and others that just don't. I shoot more .284 bullets than any other in my rifles. I got lucky in my .308's and found a bullet that met expectations early in load development. So how many do you test in a new rifle.

Here is the current line up for my 280AI.
IMG_0866.jpeg

I think I may have a problem. I just can't stop trying new bullets and probably will burn a barrel out before testing is complete. The wise and experienced person would probably focus on tried and true bullets and leave well enough alone. I do know that sometimes a particular rifle/barrel has preferences that shoot well and others that just don't. I shoot more .284 bullets than any other in my rifles. I got lucky in my .308's and found a bullet that met expectations early in load development. So how many do you test in a new rifle.

View attachment 484772
From your current lineup, 4.

Well by God, it appears that you have a lot of time and having fun experimenting with your gun and reloading. Share what your result are with us. Myself if I'm set on making a particular bullet work, I will do the best of my knowledge to do so.
If I start to get frustrated, I will move on to something else. Be safe and have Fun.

If I didn't have to drive 30 or so minutes to shoot, I would go broke, but would go broke with a smile on my face.

I shoot at two different clubs. The "closer" club is 145mi from my home. I have to leave at 5am just to beat the NYC traffic that I go through. I shoot at least once a week. Yup - it's an addiction!

I see the New Speer Tipped bullet. How are they working out. And I have been playing with the A-Tips also, they like a little jump, got the 110 working pretty well in my newly rebarreled 240 Mark V.
Please share your experience. Thanks. 🤓
I haven't tried the new Speer.

Berger 168 VLD and CH
Nosler AB 160
HH 155
BD2 150
Nosler E-Tip 150
HH 143
Berger 140 VLD
HH 131
HH 120

HH 143 has shown the most consistency. Obviously the HH 120 has shown the most speed. Too early to tell where this will end. I'll probably add the CEB and Hornady offerings to the list.

View attachment 484772

As a hunter.….ONE!

I have determined many years ago what bullet company produces bullet construction that meets my expectations….. I only change as they improve the BC or offer a bullet weight that is more desirable than a previous offering!

As mentioned before……I'm a proponent of the tried and proven KISS system! 😉 memtb