How is StaBall 6.5 working out?

Works very well in 708, likes magnum primers. Meters great. Building a 280AI and curious to see how it does in that caliber.
I just posted on a different thread my experience with StaBall 6.5 in 280AI. I was trying to 3000+ FPS with 150 Badlands BDII. Very long pills in a SAAMI chamber can encounter case capacity issues. The ball powder solved the case capacity issue, but introduced pressure spikes within .3 grain increase. It may have been the combination of bullet and powder, but going from no pressure signs to toasted brass/heavy bolt lift in .3 grains was alarming. I did get 3013 fps without significant pressure.

I just posted on a different thread my experience with StaBall 6.5 in 280AI. I was trying to 3000+ FPS with 150 Badlands BDII. Very long pills in a SAAMI chamber can encounter case capacity issues. The ball powder solved the case capacity issue, but introduced pressure spikes within .3 grain increase. It may have been the combination of bullet and powder, but going from no pressure signs to toasted brass/heavy bolt lift in .3 grains was alarming. I did get 3013 fps without significant pressure.
Same here. Mild to wild in .5 grains. Tried it in the 7-08 and velocity was good but groups were very mediocre. I moved on and using big game now.

IMG_2974.jpeg

This deer didn't care for my 300 WSM using Staball 6.5 with a 150 grn TTSX at 3205 fps.

I started at 45.2 and ended up at 47.2 with zero pressure. Shot good enough so I quit there
Fantastic. I'm glad to hear that. I'm running a 20" Tikka so I'd be pretty happy if I can hit 3k with it. Gonna run peterson brass so I might be able to squeak out a little bit more than that.

Staball 6.5 in 30-06 AI

I have used it with 200 gr Bergers. I had easy sub moa groups at a 100 yards. I noticed vehicle stringing at a 1000 that puzzled me. When I finally got a Labradar I realized that I had big extreme spreads and large sds. I think it is a low load density issue. I hit pressure before the case is full. I will try it with some 190 ABLR since they like to be seated deep with a big jump. That should help increase load density.

Velocity wise I didn't see a big increase with that combo. I actually had higher and much more consistent velocity with H4831SC and RL 23. They were compressed loads.

I tried 6.5 StaBall with 127LRX in 6.5CM, because listed data gives pretty high velocities compared to other choices. Shot fine, but hit pressure at slightly less velocity than I was already getting with good ol' H4350 so just stuck with it, as I know H4350 to be pretty temp stable.

According to "internet lore" 6.5StaBall is more temp stable that most ball powders, but not nearly as stable as 4350. Have not temp tested 6.5StaBall myself.

"Hows StaBall 65,.. working Out" ???
It's "God's Gift" to Our,..
6 XC, with, 95 gr, 107 gr and 108 grain Bullets and in my, 6.5 Creed with, 130 gr. ELD-M's / 143 ELD-X's and in, the 7MM-08 with, anything 150 grain bullets or, Heavier ! Meter's LIKE,. Water !
"BugHoles", the 107 SMK's IF Jammed in the 6 XC and Sub, 1/2 MOA group's, in My 6.5 Creedmoor Factory, TIKKA !
I'll be Buying an, 8 Pounder,.. SOON ! Key, SECRET,.. StaBall 65, works BEST with,.. NEAR, Maximum Loads AND, the "Heavier", Bullets !!!
My Son & Grandson, use the StaBall HD Powder, in their, 6.5 and 7 MM,.. PRC's with, SUB, 1/2 MOA, Group's !
It's "Good, chit",.. For some of, the more experienced,.. Re-loaders !!!

Last edited:
Same here. Mild to wild in .5 grains. Tried it in the 7-08 and velocity was good but groups were very mediocre. I moved on and using big game now.
Gotta "Work Up" to near, Max Pressure's THEN,.. "Tune" the Bullet, FOR,.. BEST,.. Jump / Jam !
We use IT successfully, in,.. .243 Win, 6 XC, 6.5 Creed and 7 mm-08's with,.. the "Heavier Bullets" ( 150, and 162 grain, ELD-X's in, 7mm-08 ).
Personally GLAD that, it DOESN'T "Work" for Everybody as,. It's available and,.. CHEAP !

Last edited:
NO "Koolaide" from Me,.. Read, my LAST Line of,.. post # 96 !
IT DOESN'T "Work" for, ALL,.. Applications !
Real Heavy Bullets in SOME Cartridge's,.. DON'T work with, a 4350 "Burn Rate" Powder,..
NEED's,.. H-4831, N-165 or, IMR 7828, Burn rate, IMO !

Last edited: