How is StaBall 6.5 working out?

Is Staball HD like thier magnum powder? Like n570 n such?
Screenshot_20240315_093128_Drive.jpg

Found it.

I've tried StaBall 6.5 powder in a few different cartridges. In all cases it has had higher velocity before pressure signs than H4350. SD's weren't as good in some of the cartridges as H4350, and the best results with StaBall were using hotter primers. Temp stability seems to be better than any other ball powder I've used, need to do more testing on this. I have loads with 175 grain bullet in the 300 WSM and 225 Grain in 338 Win Mag That shoot very good. I just started using a new lot of powder, if it needs tweaked it is going to be very minor.

I'v used both Staball 6.5 and Staball HD in 30-06 ,308 .243 and 300WSM and have had real good small 5 shot groups, I have test loads made for my 6PPC with staball match. I've not yet tested. but I bet I can shoot .125 pr better groups with it. most bench guys use LT 32. I do well using Tac .but temp effect them both.

I've tried StaBall 6.5 powder in a few different cartridges. In all cases it has had higher velocity before pressure signs than H4350. SD's weren't as good in some of the cartridges as H4350, and the best results with StaBall were using hotter primers. Temp stability seems to be better than any other ball powder I've used, need to do more testing on this. I have loads with 175 grain bullet in the 300 WSM and 225 Grain in 338 Win Mag That shoot very good. I just started using a new lot of powder, if it needs tweaked it is going to be very minor.
I've read ball powders are better suited to magnum primers. What I've done if 60.0 grs. or more.

I ordered the latest data set for QL tonight. Some hope that Stabal HD is in there. Will post back if it is. (its listed as new from 2/4/2014, but last I was on Neconos, I did not see any such update, and that was a couple weeks ago, max) In my 7 RM 175 ELD-X, N570 is showing the best theoretical velocity (in my long throat and decent capacity magazine) but at a 104% fill. Data from Hodgdon site for 7 RM and Stabal HD show decent velocity, but hard to compare to QL given different seating depths, barrel length ect.

The earlier posted burn rate chart is interesting -- if Stabal HD is truly the close in burn rate to Retumbo, N570 etc, then it solves a problem for me -- I cannot seem to get enough of those in the case without the bullet slipping back out from compression. I use graphite on my necks, and a mandrel (after bushing sizeing, FL with .002 shoulder bump). I think my necks are a little loose for using with a compressed load........

I've hade a foreign gun or two 😉
Birddog, I forgot to say it's probably Japan... no worries. I have 2 Weatherby Vangaurd's that have Howa actions. Had a third but traded the 6.5 CM. Wish I hadn't. I still have the 300 WM and 257 Weatherby. I won all three plus 3 other rifles and 9 pistols on the Arizona Elk Society Raffle. Others on here and buddies that I've told about have all won rifles, pistols, scopes, binos, backpacks, spotting scopes, etc..I just noticed I quoted myself...🙄
Birddog. I forgot . Also Springfield XDM. Croatia. I'm not sure if the Hellcat is.

Last edited: