StaBall 6.5

Gary in MD

Is anybody using this stuff? When it first came out it was advertised as being "The ****".
How is the accuracy and are you getting higher velocities as it was advertised?
Anyway, I bought an 8 pounder and plan on trying it in my 30-06, probably with 168s.
Thank,
Gary

I have used it in my 6.5 PRC with the light 122 grain bullets and was able to run them up to the mid 3300s with good accuracy. I'm going to get started on my hunting reloads soon so I will put more info up once I get them squared away.

I'll probably try it in the '06, the 6.5, the 243 and maybe one or two others. The accuracy will have to be there or the speed and temperatures insensitivity doesn't matter.
I'm just wondering what others have found.
Gary

There has been a couple of threads on StaBall 6.5 powder in the last month. A search should give you lots of opinions on the powder.

I have used it in 7-08 and 6.5CM, if you follow the Hodgdon recipe exactly the velocity is there. Everybody has their own version of acceptable accuracy, to get my flavor of accuracy it looks like I will have to deviate from Hodgdon's recipe and then who knows.

Tried it in my 7/08 with 145 gr Speer Spt. Max load in my rifle (24" barrel) got me slightly over 3000 ft/sec with MOA accuracy.

I'm with Butterbean. 38.3 gr an 41.4 gr behind 140 gr RDF's out of my Ruger 6.5 Creedmoor Varmint/Target, at 200 yds shot MOA . H4350,IMR8281XBR usually shoots 1/2 MOA. Also filthy. Possibly incomplete burn from a 28" BBL?
I'll keep trying with the pound that I bought but I don't think I'll get anymore.

Sounds like a superformance 2.0 Kind of powder. Issues sound the same as what I experienced what that powder first came out - showed promise of psycho fast velocities but with wild es numbers, poor accuracy, and burned filthy as all get out. I'll pass. Thanks for sharing this information.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.