How far do you drive to the range?

I do all load development here in the man cave and step out the back door to my 100yd range. My bench is 20yds from my back door.
My LR shooting is 5 miles from my house. Huge 1000 acre field with an old airstrip down the middle which measures over 1800yds. Tough wind sometimes but it's real world practice for me.

I would be I heaven with 100 yards out my back door. I would only go to town for more retumo and krustease for my deer stake

I think if you reread that only applies to IN HUNTING SEASON FOR BIG GAME, AND NEVER ON GAME LANDS ! This is straight out of our Game Commission's regulations book ! During the OPEN SEASONS FOR DEER AND BEARs, it is unlawful to shoot at any target other than legal game. Target shooting is lawful only when done : 1) on property owned by the shooter or by a guest of the property owner; 2) within 200 yards of a camp or headquarters where the shooter is either quartered or an invited guest; 3) at an established shooting range. The target must be protected by a natural or artificial barrier so that the BULLET or ARROW can not travel more than 15 yards beyond it . I have also known guys that while illegal have shot at rocks, ECT. during big game season just to check their windage or just wanting something to shoot at something ! Before becoming a warden I asked some weather they were afraid of getting caught shooting at random and they just smiled and asked, didn't you see that coyote ?

It sounds like my memory is actually better than my wife claims. :rolleyes: Thanks for putting the specific regs out there. It's always good to be in compliance with the laws even when they don't make much sense.

The latter has no RSO on the 200 - 400 range which I've grown accustomed to enjoy. Common sense goes a long way

I don't blame you. To your latter point however, it's unfortunate that this commodity is in such short supply. I've seen some wacky stuff over the years (muzzle sweeps, rifles left in battery during cease fires, muzzies hang firing into ceilings, etc.). I left a range where that kind of thing was an all too common occurrence.

The range I belong to now requires every member to be an RSO and go through an 8 hour class, complete with first aid training. It's a PITA but once it's done, it's done. I shoot mainly during the week so oftentimes, I'm the only one there, which is kinda nice.

About, 15 minutes to a 200 yard range, 1hour to either a 500, or 1000 yard range; 2.5 hours to a 2000 yard range. Most all of my load development is done on the 200 yard range, LR on the 1000.

It's the price you pay to live in a city with all it's conveniences of traffic, noise, sirens and crime. I can step out my back door and have a 300 yard range but I drive an hour to go shopping. It' more convenient for me to drive an hour once a week then to deal with all the other bull Sh t.

Set up for 100,200,300,400,500 out the back door. 1000 + on blm 15 minutes. Public range to 600 forty five minutes. My neighbors come use it too.

Joined club 3 miles from house 100 & 200 yd range. Also belong to sportsmans club 86 miles from house. Old strip pits unlimited range.

I am lucky to have a nice"private" gun club with solid benches and targets out to 500 close by. I only use that for load development, then hit the "other" range for practice. That range is BLM and it starts 2 minutes from the house and has a longer range than I could possibly ever shoot in this lifetime.
When I went back to Mn for a visit several years ago, my kids and I visited the gun range next door to the DPMS factory. Don't get me wrong- I understand the need for all the range rules, but it made me appreciate living where I do.

Have access to a public range about 15 minutes away but can't stand going there! I elect to drive 60 minutes out into the mountains where I can shoot at my own pace, my own distance and uninterrupted. At the public range you'll spent most of your time frustrated and waiting on others. It seems to be more of a social hour where people show off gear rather than actually going to shoot. *end rant*

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.