How far do you drive to the range?

I am in PA and have gone to state land and used powerlines to shoot out, it is not allowed however on game lands.

I have almost shot down power lines so many times! Michigan has so much tree cover, not many places to shoot longer. But power lines are often used for off roading trucks too, so I never take the chance.

I found a lake in the middle of national forest a couple weeks ago. Very remote, nobody close in any direction. Going to bring my range finder and a steel target next time. I might be able to hit 800 yards shooting across it.

I have almost shot down power lines so many times! Michigan has so much tree cover, not many places to shoot longer. But power lines are often used for off roading trucks too, so I never take the chance.

I found a lake in the middle of national forest a couple weeks ago. Very remote, nobody close in any direction. Going to bring my range finder and a steel target next time. I might be able to hit 800 yards shooting across it.
I think I said pipelines, no wires on them, but even powerlines usually have room to the sides that wires would not be a problem. Most pipelines and powerlines are gated and can not and are not allowed to be driven on in my area !

This question is aimed at those that don't have private property. We have a public outdoor range 30 minutes from our house, but it only goes to 100 yds. For longer range shooting, there are two private clubs, and both of them are 1 hour away.

Is this typical? I'd like to get some longer range practice, but a 2-hour roundtrip is rather unappealing.
15 minutes east gets me an indoor 100 yard range or 15 minutes west gets me to 1500

I see that I called pipelines, powerlines but as I said they can both be used if care is taken to not to shoot between the lines, but get to the edges and you should be ok.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.