How do you decide what products to use?

Here are a few of my questions:
-What influences your decision to try a new product? Is it word of mouth, a google search, an ad, etc??
-What would be an incentive to push you over the edge to try a new product?
-Do you prefer to try new things or stick with tried and true?
So i presume we are specifically talking bullets.

1. Lots of research. I look at bullets based on 3 categories. Target bullets, varmint bullets, and hunting bullets. I look at all the bullets from all the makers and see which one suits my needs.

When chosing a targeted bullet i look at bc, price, and reviews relating to quality and consistency. I generally tend towards the SMK and TMK, along with barnes match burners and nosler custom competition. Bergers are just too expensive for my needs.

When talking a hunting bullet, i look at bc, price and reliability, with reliability being the key factor. Im in the forums, reading reviews, watching gel tests. I want to know that bullet will perform on game every single time without fail.

2, need. Need would be the reason to try a new bullet. Either i don't have a bullet for a specific application, or the bullet i have is not performing. That is my incentive to try a new bullet.

3. I do a lot of research. So if i have something that is working well i am going to stick with it. If i find a new product that i was unaware of or that is new, that is comparably priced and provides a significant improvement, i would probably try it out.

So i presume we are specifically talking bullets.

1. Lots of research. I look at bullets based on 3 categories. Target bullets, varmint bullets, and hunting bullets. I look at all the bullets from all the makers and see which one suits my needs.

When chosing a targeted bullet i look at bc, price, and reviews relating to quality and consistency. I generally tend towards the SMK and TMK, along with barnes match burners and nosler custom competition. Bergers are just too expensive for my needs.

When talking a hunting bullet, i look at bc, price and reliability, with reliability being the key factor. Im in the forums, reading reviews, watching gel tests. I want to know that bullet will perform on game every single time without fail.

2, need. Need would be the reason to try a new bullet. Either i don't have a bullet for a specific application, or the bullet i have is not performing. That is my incentive to try a new bullet.

3. I do a lot of research. So if i have something that is working well i am going to stick with it. If i find a new product that i was unaware of or that is new, that is comparably priced and provides a significant improvement, i would probably

I would add one other note. I feel badly saying this, but i feel honesty is better than omissions in this case. I have looked at cutting edge bullets in several occasions. What has stopped me every time, is your seal tight band. I understand the premise behind it. However i see as as a glaring flaw. It limits my ability to seat bullett. It is a hard stop when trying to seat deeper. And is a hard stop when trying to seat long. It is a critical limiting factor, and on that basis alone, unless it is removed i cannot justify trying them. In addition to that i have seen bullet failures in gel testing and on that basis they are disqualified based on my hunting bullet testing criteria. You asked in good faith, and i felt you deserved a full and honest answer without omissions. Im not trying to start an agreement or debate, this is just my honest assessment and my reason for it.

Last edited:

Nope, that's fine, I appreciate your honesty. I will say that the seating depth situation is why we have created a single feed and mag feed version on most of our long range bullets. This along with the ability to seat up to the bullet down into the case neck and outside the case neck up to .150" gives quite a bt of adjustability. But I understand what you are saying and I respect your opinion.
Sealtite-Band-seating-position.jpg

Im also a little confused by this video that you posted for several reasons. Is this your video?
These bullets appeared to have petals that broke off. This is pretty typical of our MTH bullets. They have numerous small petals that stay alongside the main wound channel. You can see the difference between our lines here: Bullet Comparison Guide
I also do not see any pictures of the gel blocks anywhere? Do you have pictures of the wound channels these created?
I dont know what to say about the high velocity bc low velocity results. Id have to know more about your seating depth, load, etc before I can comment on that further. That is completely the opposite of what we have seen, so id like to know more details!

@Samantha-CEB,

I've been shooting your bullets for a few years now.
Bought some the first time I met some people from CEB at the Harrisburg Outdoors Show.
Missed you all this year!

I live in Altoona, and hunt mostly up near Bennezette PA.
Stopped into your plant a few times.
Kinda hard to find though. I had to call for directions both times. Lol

I'll make this note people, so pay attention!!
When I stopped by their offices, ALL the people were quite pleasant! All seemed genuinely proud of what they were doing & the product they are making!
And everyone I talked with in the office KNEW their products!

Great group of people!!!

I was wanting to stop in & get some more bullets from you, but your address is now Boise, Idaho.???

As others have mentioned, useful load data is extremely helpful!
But in this day & age, printing an actual manual is quite the investment in both time and money.
I would think having a load data section on the website may be more worth your while.

As for getting the word out, it needn't be hard or expensive.

Have an annual or semi annual range day.

Maybe a raffle for a day of hunting with CEB.

Meet & greet at the shop.

And remember, this is just but one of the forums out there.
Just because it may be more competition oriented, doesn't mean their members don't hunt!!
Yes, we are out in Boise Idaho now! Thanks for the kind words about our staff though. Yes, our intention was never to be a store front so we never really worried about location haha. Our goal is to eventually have an event at our new facility. It's important for local people to know you exist (they never did in PA!).
Someday we will certainly have a manual, but for now we will make due :)

Nope, that's fine, I appreciate your honesty. I will say that the seating depth situation is why we have created a single feed and mag feed version on most of our long range bullets. This along with the ability to seat up to the bullet down into the case neck and outside the case neck up to .150" gives quite a bt of adjustability. But I understand what you are saying and I respect your opinion.
View attachment 497230
Im also a little confused by this video that you posted for several reasons. Is this your video?
These bullets appeared to have petals that broke off. This is pretty typical of our MTH bullets. They have numerous small petals that stay alongside the main wound channel. You can see the difference between our lines here: Bullet Comparison Guide
I also do not see any pictures of the gel blocks anywhere? Do you have pictures of the wound channels these created?
I dont know what to say about the high velocity bc low velocity results. Id have to know more about your seating depth, load, etc before I can comment on that further. That is completely the opposite of what we have seen, so id like to know more details!
Not my testing. Channel is simple minded fellow. He does testing at max and min velocities to get an idea of testing at various impact velocities. If you look in his channel you should find the gel test video if i remember right. He was having problems with the bullets tumbling on impact instead of opening and fragmenting.

Not my testing. Channel is simple minded fellow. He does testing at max and min velocities to get an idea of testing at various impact velocities. If you look in his channel you should find the gel test video if i remember right. He was having problems with the bullets tumbling on impact instead of opening and fragmenting.
Sounds like the bullets were not stable. Just my 2 cents. Would be interested in knowing how his load development went prior to shooting them into gel.

Sounds like the bullets were not stable. Just my 2 cents. Would be interested in knowing how his load development went prior to shooting them into gel.
I watched his video and he said that at lower velocities he had the bullets, or another batch, perform well down to 1600 fps. So that suggests, to me, an oversized bore and he's getting blow by on the higher velocities so it doesn't get the full effect of the rifling. He doesn't state the rifles used so it could be too slow a twist like you said.

I think some of the members have spoken eloquently what I would say, so I will not regurgitate.

Getting your product out in front of people with factual information is a great start. Real world BC's with terminal performance on deer sized game at reducing increments of velocity to 1000 yards for different caliber and weights. Load data for common rounds with your bullets would be a help.

I have tried many bullets, and I know I have tried some of yours 5-6 years ago. I only did tests on paper and I don't think I still have the results, although I do still have a few open boxes of bullets. What it comes down to with me, in this order: terminal performance, repeatable accuracy, consistent bullet, then cost. After that, nothing else matters. The terminal performance and repeatable accuracy are most important to me, as anytime you attempt to take a life, you have the obligation to do it morally and ethically. I will not take a bad shot angle, or a low probability shot. But I have the confidence in my gun, scope, skill and bullet, then when the safety is off and the cross hairs are settled, the bullet is going where I want it to go.

If I can help your company with any testing, please let me know.

Roger

Last edited: