How far can you connect?

I have never actually killed a deer or a pig at over 180 yards. My typical shot is 75 to 120 yards. I have missed at ranges longer than 180, to be honest, several times. So my question is to my fellow bloggers here is, what is your longest successful shot? What is your shortest miss? What is your longest attempted shot on game? I have missed at 400 yards, I must confess, way more than once. In a sitting position I can hit a grapefruit at 200 yards four times out of five, if I take my time, with my trusty 27 inch custom-barreled .270. I have missed a sitting rabbit at six yards with my .338. Everyone on this site is, if you believe their comments, a superb shot, and that is great. That just does not apply to me, so this post is to confess my limitations honestly. Tell me if I have flunked!
I don't think you flunked and not too many people talk about their misses so of course you hear about all the hits my longest hit is an antelope at 783 yards and I have missed a deer at 50

You haven't flunked. On paper, I'm very consistent at over 1100 yards with multiple rifles. When I see a massive deer or elk, I get excited and things aren't so easy. My longet kill is on an antelope at 934 yards with a .260 Remington; one shot and it was done. I have missed deer at 250 yards while free standing, an elk at 300 yards while sitting and other similar misses at closer range. When I take a long shot, I have to have a good feel for the conditions, a rock solid rest and the time to make sure I am on and the dope is on. If you rush a long range shot, you will likely miss. I have passed on many big animals at longer ranges because I didn't feel I could make the shot under the conditions that day.
Excellent advice. The longer the shot - the better the setup needs to be - and DON'T RUSH !!!!

Longest kill:
Whitetail buck in the middle of an oats field from an elevated tripod stand: tiny bit over 300yards w/.280ai
Another whitetail buck w/.270 win. 300 large steps away (pre-range finder).

Shortest miss:
Whitetail buck facing me head on in tall grass at around 50 yards from elevated tree stand and a good rest. I must have yanked on the trigger and pulled the shot. Humbling.

My longest kill was 689yds on a cow elk.
I shoot a lot.
I live minutes from my local range and on the edge of National Forest.
All of my rifles are identical from .22lr through 300WM, i.e. triggers, scope reticles, chassis, etc...

I try to keep my shots inside 550 yards. I have killed elk further but just don't like it. I shoot fairly regularly at over 1000 on steel and have rifles capable of the accuracy and have impact velocities of making kills at that distance but 550 is far enough for me.

Truthfully I missed an elk at 150-160 yards last week because my range finder hit the other side of the valley and read 375. In a hurry I shot for 375.....dumb

My longest kill was last year on my Bull Elk 1244 yards ! My happiest hunting day ever !
My closest miss was years ago with my bow , missed the biggest 10 pt Wt I have ever seen ...shot right through the Horns ...I can still hear the cling of the fat aluminum arrow going through the horns . 😢😢

Longest shot /group on steel is a 3 shots 26 3/4" group at 3027 yards . Personal best to date . I couldnt even guess how many rounds I fired in all the 338's to get to that point .

Rum Man

I have never actually killed a deer or a pig at over 180 yards. My typical shot is 75 to 120 yards. I have missed at ranges longer than 180, to be honest, several times. So my question is to my fellow bloggers here is, what is your longest successful shot? What is your shortest miss? What is your longest attempted shot on game? I have missed at 400 yards, I must confess, way more than once. In a sitting position I can hit a grapefruit at 200 yards four times out of five, if I take my time, with my trusty 27 inch custom-barreled .270. I have missed a sitting rabbit at six yards with my .338. Everyone on this site is, if you believe their comments, a superb shot, and that is great. That just does not apply to me, so this post is to confess my limitations honestly. Tell me if I have flunked!
Hunting in a Florida club where members miss or wound at distances from 50 to 60 yds. So you might fit right in here with a good solid C.

My longest kill was at 330 yards on a mule deer in Montana; I was sitting and shooting off bi-pod sticks. I had practiced a lot at that distance but when it was time to squeeze the trigger, that was a long distance for me! Growing up in upstate NY and living in Vermont for over twenty years, a 100 yard shot was very unusual for me. There are now some very good tri-pods on the market, which would really help you & hang in there.
.......Bob

The adage "The older I get, the faster I was" applies on internet forms similarly as "The longer I type, the better shots I made." We all have our unique skills and merits. One of yours is being honest. Others.....they type a lot. :) :) :) Keep shooting, keep practicing, have fun, and.......being honest. It's becoming. You passed the "being human test" with flying colors!!!!

My longest kill was on coyote at 306 yards and I missed a deer at 60 yards. I had a rock sold rest and there was no way I could of missed it but I hit a tree 1" tree 30 yards before the deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.