How do YOU afford this...

31 Married for the last 4 years. Been with my wife since high school.

Occupation

Oil Field Process Control Operator I work a 7-7 schedule so I have lots of time off every other week. My wife works full time in the office of a landscaping company. We live a great life and don't really want for much, unless its more toys or vacations.

Kids / no kids =

1st daughter Born in April, going to have at least one more.

Dollars invested in custom rifles and attached scopes.

ENDLESS..

My wife and I both work and have very flexible schedules and do not pay for day care( yet anyways). But this could all change. House I bought when I was 25, bought at a good time in the market and its only gonna make us money. I drive a 4yr old truck and my Wife drives a some what newer car that is paid for.

Started buying rifles and reloading when I started making money in the oilfields right out of high school. Bought new trucks and new rifles and money wasn't really a problem. This is where the dark rabbit hole got me hooked. Had three semi custom rifles built and while I still have two of them. I started build my own personal rifles 5 years ago.
first lathe, learned to use and sold for a profit to buy a better lathe.
Second lathe learned a lot more and got way more than my money out of it. Sold it for a profit still.
Third lathe I still have. Not to mention a Mill last year. I cant even count the amount of tooling, reamers, cutters, oil gauges, measuring equipment. It doesn't really matter anymore.

How much money do I have into all this???? I have a safe full of full customs that I have built they all shoot great. Use mainly two rifles now for hunting. I don't do PRS or any comp shooting. That's not really my thing. I like building tac driving hunting rifles and like to shoot them at distance for fun and hunting only. I have an entire room setup for reloading which I have no idea how much money I have into that. If I had to guess in total maybe $50k or more into my hunting rifle building obsession. Because that's what it is to me is an Obsession now.

So now im 31 and I have so much invested into building rifles, O well most of it is paid for. If I had to sell all of it I could make some of my money back. But I love it so I cant put a price on it. I'm just getting excited to start building small rifles for my daughter to shoot.

Dude I didn't know you were 31. From your posts I thought you were like 60. They are all well mannered and extremely helpful/knowledgeable. I had this idea in my head that you were this 65 year gunsmith who just found his niche in life.

Remmy I'm a little older than you and an E7 as well (SFC). Got 3 more before I retire, hopefully debt free. My youngest is off to college next weekend so we'll see how that goes. The wife decided a couple years back on a total career change (from a good paying job that she hated going to every day) and went back to school, so we have been single incoming it. That means I currently can't afford crap! She will graduate in December and has another good job waiting. Got one full custom and a couple switch barrel jobs (Savage/Remage), plus the usual (couple pistols, 30-06, .22,etc). Like Whisper said, my stuff was a "gift" from the wife after deployments with upgrades here and there. When I retire I may contract for a couple/few years and save a good nest egg. Then retire totally and still in my 40's.
Would love to learn to build my own rifles, may look into a program that would allow me to intern at a shop for the last 6 months of my military time.

Brother I told my wife u followed me for 20 years in crap places I will go anywhere u want! Long as I don't have to shave my face! Lol

Beards kind of suck. I did one for ETS leave before going Reserve and they are hot and you have to comb them. Didn't realize how much work went into looking like Leonidas.

Beards kind of suck. I did one for ETS leave before going Reserve and they are hot and you have to comb them. Didn't realize how much work went into looking like Leonidas.
I got to take a week and a half off of leave when my mom passed. And I didn't shave, and I had my attack dog with me!!!! I loved it, no razors for rest of my life (well except places the wife likes)!
View attachment 144796

Oh ya. I havent shaved or worn a watch since i retired. But i think i work harder since i packed up my go bag and gave it back to Uncle Sam. Only difference is i get to choose what Im working at.

Remmy I'm a little older than you and an E7 as well (SFC). Got 3 more before I retire, hopefully debt free. My youngest is off to college next weekend so we'll see how that goes. The wife decided a couple years back on a total career change (from a good paying job that she hated going to every day) and went back to school, so we have been single incoming it. That means I currently can't afford crap! She will graduate in December and has another good job waiting. Got one full custom and a couple switch barrel jobs (Savage/Remage), plus the usual (couple pistols, 30-06, .22,etc). Like Whisper said, my stuff was a "gift" from the wife after deployments with upgrades here and there. When I retire I may contract for a couple/few years and save a good nest egg. Then retire totally and still in my 40's.
Would love to learn to build my own rifles, may look into a program that would allow me to intern at a shop for the last 6 months of my military time.

Good Morning Platoon Sergeant. I'm a bit older than you and was a 19k in Ft Knox active duty from 85-87. Although the gun I shot back in my day...was a 105 mm rifled out of my M1...I will share a thought. When I was with the 6th Cav our armorer was at the basement of our building. I often thought about volunteering to start learning but never followed thru. I guess drinking beer and chasing tail was more in my Dna. To this day I wish I had. Maybe you can do something similar, give you exp for about two years and then you can apprentice as you said. You may find knowledge that those who would want to take on an apprentice would appreciate someone with some weapons experience. Hope it helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.