How do YOU afford this...

Country Bumpkin

We all have various levels of engagement in this sport, and we are all from different walks of life with different expendable incomes.

My Wife and I have "good" jobs, 2 young children that have a lot of interests/activities (cha-ch$ng). We manage our money well and have an eye for the future.

I was reading a thread recently about various mountain scopes, and some of you fellers listed off 6-8 scopes that you currently have in circulation that I would absolutely drool over.

I've lusted over the "kit" required to do long-range hunting any justice for years and years. In addition to a small safe filled with hand-me-downs and affordable factory guns, I have 1 custom rifle that was given to me as a thank you for coaching their sons lacrosse team for 3 years (fortunately it came with a nice scope too - VX6 6-24x52). I shoot as often as I can, I but in reality I wish I could shoot 3-4 times more than I do .... it's the cost of ammo/components that prevents me from going hog wild. I also would like to get a light caliber semi custom to get my kids in on the fun (but we will make do with our ruger American predator just fine.

I stand no chance of "keeping up with the Jones'" but I'd sure be curious to know....

Kids / no kids
Dollars invested in custom rifles and attached scopes

This should be interesting!

No customs here. The closest I have gotten to custom would be my two AR-15s that I bought factory and did a few mods on. Got a little over a $1000 in each of em. One of them is a 6.5 Grendel. All my other guns are "affordable factory guns" as you put it. I'm 20, single, and just getting ready to go to college. Been doing lawn Care last three years. The Ruger American in my avatar came with scope and several boxes of ammo, all for $400. I generally put a Cabela's or vortex scope on my guns. Less than $300 dollars on scope usually, my 6.5 Grendel is the exception.

Last edited:
Most folks are just like you. Theyget better stuff by trading up. Example. Shoot what you have and enjoy it. Put a little back when you can. When you have saved for awhile. Sell what you have and add it to the cash you have. Get something you really want. Over time you can have some really nice stuff. I know many guys that compete with shotguns that costs $40k or more. For many of them it is a years salary, and they didnt just go buy them. This is how tgey get them. Works every time. You might not have a lot of stuff, but you can have some really nice stuff.

Another thing, buy bulk components at big shoots. They always have "a guy". Usually a shooter with an ffl selling close to cost to help fellow shooters. Always buy bulk when you can. Much cheaper. Half what they charge for a hundred pack of whatever in a store.

52 and I work in pharma. Got 2 kids, 9 & 12 (waited a long time to have them). I have 3 Coopers but they are not really "custom". I don't have any Nightforce or really high end scopes, but several nice Leupolds a Sig sauer Tango 4 and a few Vortex HSTs. I got one rifle that I did have built by the Savage Custom shop. On all of these rifles and scopes.... probably 13k.

Most folks are just like you. Theyget better stuff by trading up. Example. Shoot what you have and enjoy it. Put a little back when you can. When you have saved for awhile. Sell what you have and add it to the cash you have. Get something you really want. Over time you can have some really nice stuff. I know many guys that compete with shotguns that costs $40k or more. For many of them it is a years salary, and they didnt just go buy them. This is how tgey get them. Works every time. You might not have a lot of stuff, but you can have some really nice stuff.
And buy on sale! All the stuff you want will be on sale or there will be a special offer if you are patient. On the high end stuff it can easily be hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

Thanks everyone,this is all good information.

I want to clarify, I hope I don't sound like I'm complaining or feel like I should have things that I don't. I have a wonderful life, I'm blessed to have the people and opportunities that I have, I want for nothing and know how fortunate I am. I truly am, very fortunate.

I did forget to ask, how many of you have whittled down all of your other hobbies to just shooting/hunting?

I still ride Dirtbikes and mountain bikes when I can (both somewhat expensive). With regards to hunting, that might as well be a separate hobby for me, given how much time and energy I devote to that. Long range is mostly just a side hobby for when I can't hunt. I really don't shoot at critters very long, i'd prefer to shoot steel or hone my groups.

Thanks everyone,this is all good information.

I want to clarify, I hope I don't sound like I'm complaining or feel like I should have things that I don't. I have a wonderful life, I'm blessed to have the people and opportunities that I have, I want for nothing and know how fortunate I am. I truly am, very fortunate.

I did forget to ask, how many of you have whittled down all of your other hobbies to just shooting/hunting?

I still ride Dirtbikes and mountain bikes when I can (both somewhat expensive). With regards to hunting, that might as well be a separate hobby for me, given how much time and energy I devote to that. Long range is mostly just a side hobby for when I can't hunt. I really don't shoot at critters very long, i'd prefer to shoot steel or hone my groups.
If you want really nice stuff , most likely you will have to pretty much settle on one. I cant afford to be good at 2. Remember, spending time with your family is at least as important. Your time is more valuable than money. Pick just one, and be a good whatever and a great dad.

For me its been a progressive accumulation of guns and gun stuff that I seem to buy/use/then sell or trade later and get something better. In the past 5 years I went from a collection of over 20 guns to selling and trading off most of them and investing in about 8 really nice higher end rifles and accessories that I get far more use from. The biggest money saver for me is buying everything in used but like new condition from other members on forums and I save thousands.

medical imaging
French bulldogs... (just as, if not more expensive than kids)
<20k

I'm single

I had more when I was in this category...

Mid 40s
2 kiddos
Run a sales division for small for the industry (200M) company.
Worked in sales all my life--helped grow a couple smaller companies
My uncle was an avid collector--I inherited all of his collection (class 3 stuff double rifles, nice shotguns--he had good taste and deeper wallet than me--plus I have been interested in guns and hunting all my life...id tell you what I have invested and inherited but--I'm embarrassed...I got into long range just 8-10 years ago..so I'm still learning...my collecting passion are S/S British shotguns, Double rifles, and Remington 600s...

I have been into guns all my life--my parents let me run around the ranch when I was pretty little I had a 22 short single shot lever action..I hunted a lot back then..I found a old pic the other day with me and that rifle...good memories

One piece of advice..don't be extreme--buy quality--but you don't have to have the best of the best...wait....good stuff does go on sale...old model good stuff...is still good stuff!

Attachments

• IMG_0753.JPG
    IMG_0753.JPG
    317.9 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
If you want to save money then buy 2 decent scopes & put the same mounting system on all the rifles-eg use the same picatinny rail on all the rifles.
That way you can transfer the scopes between rifles as & as long as you record the turret settings you should be close to bang on when you do the adjustments!
I am using Leupold Mark 4 rails & Leupold QRW rings to achieve this myself.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.