Can you help me get started?

bigboyhunter

I'm really interested in long range shooting/hunting but I'm new to all of this and was wondering if you guys could help me out?
I Currently have a 300 win mag Browning A-bolt...it has a trigger job and is beded. It has a Leupold VXIII 4.5-14 40mm scope. I'm wandering if I can get the job done with that? Also I'm barely familiar with turrets. I know that I can get one from Leupold...is that the best route to go? And what information do I need to get an accurate turret? I'm a rookie at this so sorry if I sound like I don't know what i'm talking about.

Big Boy,

Sounds like you've already got a pretty good rig to start out with. 1st off, you have to PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. You need to start reloading for your rifle if your'e not already. Check out Kenton Industries to get a turret. You MUST get a Chronograph, otherwise you are ****ing into the wind. There is plenty to read on here to get you up and going. Just do some searches and some asking and you'll find out about anything you need to know.

Good luck with your endeavors.

300 Rumshooter

the 300 win mag is a good base caliber as its pretty easy to load for and their are several good factory loads that will help you reach out. The A-bolt is as good as any other gun so long as its accurate and consistant. The scope you have will be enough power to get you to 1000yds pretty easy , unless you have a 30mm tube model then Leupold probably won't put a set of M1 turrets on it , so you may have to look at other places like Kenton mentioned before. I would also get a 20moa base to help save some of you windage when the scope gets dialed up for long range , I personaly would not put to much money into that scope trying to mame it do a job it wasen't built for , you can sell it and either buy a scope desgined for dialing up like a SS 16x or use the funds you get from selling it as a down payment for a upper end scope like Nightforce , IOR , Nikon or the like but the SS 16x is a decient scope for the money.

Then like mentioned before practice all you can and save you money so when the barrel finaly gets sot out you can upgrade to a real quality barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.