How does cold affect your barrel?

I just spent a bunch of time at benchrestcentral.com reading up on stainless or CM for use in target barrels and most there didn't know about CM for bench rest because in about 40 years or so, no one had ever seen one in competition. They did talk about machine ability, less fouling, throat erosion resistance and that it did lap up to a nice smooth finish easier.

After that I pretty much figured I was all wet on the machine ability thing, so, if someone is wrong, when it comes to barrels I would say it has to be me. I overlooked the fact that the stainless used in rifle barrels is completely different than the stainless I was using. Barrel stainless is alloyed for machine ability. The stuff I use is alloyed for corrosion and abrasive resistance.

In fact it was so different that a magnet will not stick to it where a magnet will stick to every one of my stainless barrels and handguns. They also rust if neglected where the stuff I used to not would rust for a long time if ever. I used the stainless material handling equipment, in steam and boiler applications and as well as making large mixer paddles for caustic materials. Barrel stainless does seem soft as far as how easy it is to scratch where my stainless took a carbide scribe to even make a mark on it.. To tell the truth I've never had a drill bit on any barrel stainless either. Other than the maybe cutting torch analogy I'm pretty much off here. On the chrome moly I'm sure the heat treat and subsequent hardness must be different to than the stuff I use regularly.

For now I still believe that the stainless is not measurably more brittle in any kind of hunting environment we will encounter on earth. If a barrel ever busts in the cold I would bet a nickel that it had more to due with condensation frozen tight inside than the actual metal becoming brittle.

I sure wish I were a trained gunsmith. I married at 20 so providing a living was top priority and welding paid well and I liked doing it. Maybe after I quit racing I will take it up.

Barrel steel is pretty interesting. Did you know that during World War two, Ford Model T (I think it was the Model T) Axels were used to make barrels because steel wasn't readily available? Anyway, I am always open to learn something new, so thanks for the info about the other stainless steels.

[ QUOTE ]
It is posts like these that leave me shaking my head. Who is right, who is wrong. Someone has to be, and according to you guys it is me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right or wrong, W, and I certainly dont know much about this subject so I dont know if you are or not, I respect your ability to display humility. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.