How do you explain….custom rifles?

Sounds to me like you would only be satisfied with a custom rifle and accurate dies for your cases. At the very least a Deluxe rifle. Personally my standards are likely lower than yours. If I get under an inch consistently with reloads or factory ammo I'm satisfied. But I won't shoot at an animal past 400. One thing I can't digest are the cheap stocks and magazines. Even though some are accurate, I like a solid bolt,not some floating bolt head. So no, your not bonkers. And the proportionally lower resale value of a custom is a reasonable consideration . After having issues with a couple of Deluxe (even though I love them), I'd like to try custom . I still may get one or two more Deluxes, but I figure I won't go wrong with a custom. Depends how particular you need to be to be satisfied. Just an opinion.
Every time I see a floating bolt I see a savage. I know savages are well regarded in terms of accuracy, but a Savage feels like a Glock and a model 70 feels like a 1911.

Every time I see a floating bolt I see a savage. I know savages are well regarded in terms of accuracy, but a Savage feels like a Glock and a model 70 feels like a 1911.
Lol- that's exactly the make I had in mind . Really, I find them to be too cheaply made to ever be satisfied with one. In fact, I'd never consider owning a Savage. It's not in my DNA. But for those with budget constraints it's great they are available.

I agree with all this…."I can buy what I want", but is there more?

I have a buddy who bought his because, "I wanted a rifle that was the best, so I knew any miss was on me." He is extreme about this. Basically he acts like a 0.3" 100 yd group is 0.3" of shooter error!

My only explanation is…..I shoot a lot. My custom rifles represent all the things I can do to make my rifle as quick and easy as possible for the use they are designed for.

To me, accuracy is a relative concept. Yes, I would like a rifle that consistently shot into 1/3" at 100 yards regardless of whether I was shooting a 100 gr or 300 gr bullet. I would like a rifle that would regularly hit a plate at 800 (or more) yards, first shot. I have been hunting since 1970, have killed deer, caribou, elk, moose, African antelope (quite a few) and quite a few rabbits. My longest shots were at rabbits. All the rest fell in ranges under 300 yards. All of them. I have no interest in shooting competition long range. So for me, a factory rifle that feels good (I try them at gun shows and show rooms) and that my handholds will tame, I'm a happy camper. I'm running out of time to look for a custom and I am really happy with what I have purchased "over the counter". That's just my opinion...for me.

IMO, whatever fits your needs and desires and most importantly your budget is what you should get. Will a so-called cheap rig shoot "lights out"? Possibly. I no longer am able to field hunt, crappy knees and ankle curtesy of Uncle Sam. However, I do love an "accurate" rifle. I had a 25-06 factory Rem 700BDL that would consistently shoot MOA at 100 meters. At that time I was into "varmint" hunting. My friend had a ranch and was losing about 2 head a day of cattle due to broken legs. He had a severe ground squirrel prob so I had the "run" of the property to keep the "blighters" under control. When trying to stretch the shoots out further I found I wasn't as successful. I had a smith rebuild the rifle into a true custom rifle. New target barrel, thumbhole stock, and an action job. I was really pleased when my best reloads now were that "wonderful "5 under a dime" at 100 meters. Since I was shooting off a bag rest off of the hood of my Powerwagon, weight wasn't an issue 12pounds empty but dam it did the job. That was in the early '70s. Now I have succumbed to that impossible quest of the mythical .000" groups. Achievable, no but I can consistently shoot sub 1/2moa at 100 meters. My Dad told me that every guy needed a "rathole" for loose change." These days with synthetic stocks the only change I always do is to replace the triggers. I don't know why rifle makers can't or more likely won't put great triggers into their rifles. Do I, as a non-professional non-competition shooter need a rifle/scope combo that cost more than my '72 SS Chevelle did? No, but would I like one? Sure. Basically, it comes down to what rig meets your needs at the price you're willing to pay.

I have full customs, self assembled rifles and factory rifles. I don't own any factory rifles that are still factory ( except those inherited ). I don't have any browning or Ruger rifles... guess I shouldn't pick on them. My factory rifles are rifles I can readily buy stocks and triggers for.
A Remington, Tikka, or Savage can easily be made all you want it to be, but they also need to be tinkered with to be all you want them to be.
I have a ragged hole 7mm Remington Mag that is a remage barrel ($350) on a factory action and a McMillan stock with a trigger tech special. But that get-up is about $700 cheaper than another 7 I have with a defiance action.
I rather enjoy putting my own together. It saves a few hundred at least and I like it.

The old "savages are cheap junk" thing is gone. Dead. Literally 2 decades ago. Not sure why that's still repeated over n over short of egotism. Usually this is followed up by "evidence" comparing a $900 Remington to a $300 axis. Grab a nice stainless laminate/accustock 116 and a comparable 700 off the shelf sometime. both are top shelf, both are the same price, both have excellent quality control and factory service. Both are great factory guns. More than half the time the savage will outshoot the other. Theres better aftermarket for the rem, so if you like changing parts on your new gun, go that way. Why are we still bashing savage? Totally different company and rifles from the days of the old beater junk.

Try comparing their low end guns sometime.... the cheap beaters they both import that 95% of kids going out this fall will be carrying. Those axis are actually pretty decent. The 783? Now theres a junker.

Last edited:
I truly feel I could buy a 257 weatherby vanguard off the shelf and some 110 premium ammunition, zero at 200 and using the velocity off the box and click out to 600-6" if it was pretty calm. Same with the 300 weatherby with 180 premiums as long as it has a good brake. I have had extremely good luck with savages but I always have to handload them to bring them in but man, they shoot. Maybe I'm just lucky?

This is a challenge for me. Factory rifles with load development can shoot quite well. 1 moa is quite common. 1/2 moa or close seems like it is becoming more common.

Factory stocks are becoming crappier and better at the top end. This is a pretty good reason to go full custom.

Otherwise, I feel like rational people think I'm a bit bonkers. I talk about things like case to die to chamber fit being nearly perfect, stock dimensions being a near perfect fit, optics clear enough to really see at lower magnifications.

All that said, I shot my friends Savage package gun in 6.5 creedmor and my only real complaints were:
-stock was not a good fit
-scope was forward and couldn't move
-windage turret moved 0.75 moa with 1 click(1/4 moa turret)
-glass was just ok/usable

Our results were pretty good. Quick sight in at 100, 1.4moa 200yd group, 300 yd 2 moa steel hits. Not bad.

Then we talk about my new rifle. Everything is better, but for what? How do I explain the value of it? Not to justify. I want it, I earned it, it solves my issues from previous experience. I get that, but why are custom rifles worth 5-10 times to price? Or are they a bad deal? The value is definitely low when sold as used.

I ask, really just to generate interest from people who don't connect with the idea immediately.
I bought a cheap Savage model 11 for $300, added a $100 trigger, $250 for a Boyd's stock, a Kreiger 29" barrel / 7.5 twist - $750. Chambered in a 243 and it will shoot .031 at 100 yds and 2-inch group at 600 yds reloading a Hornady 108 eldm with HV-100.

The old "savages are cheap junk" thing is gone. Dead. Literally 2 decades ago. Not sure why that's still repeated over n over short of egotism. Usually this is followed up by "evidence" comparing a $900 Remington to a $300 axis. Grab a nice stainless laminate/accustock 116 and a comparable 700 off the shelf sometime. both are top shelf, both are the same price, both have excellent quality control and factory service. Both are great factory guns. More than half the time the savage will outshoot the other. Theres better aftermarket for the rem, so if you like changing parts on your new gun, go that way. Why are we still bashing savage? Totally different company and rifles from the days of the old beater junk.

Try comparing their low end guns sometime.... the cheap beaters they both import that 95% of kids going out this fall will be carrying. Those axis are actually pretty decent. The 783? Now theres a junker.
They perform but they feel cheap and floating bolts look cheap. I'm not saying they're bad guns but they don't feel bank vault tight in any way. Some of the custom actions with floating bolts might be different but a well fitted 1 piece bolt feels better. To me a Ruger American feels better than a savage in regard to the action. Again doesn't mean anything just my opinion. I like model 70's and that style action and I'm sure some people think they look some kind of way. It's all good. All that matters are your goals, objectives, and personal taste.

In fifty plus years of hunting I never owned a custom rifle, until 4 years ago. I also never saw the need.
Now I own three and I'm contemplating a few more.
I could easily still hunt with my factory rifles, but I have way more confidence and fun toting my customs!

The question of Factory vs Custom is all based on Purpose of use! To ask if anyone would like a custom rifle vs factory rifle is like taking a kid into a candy store that also sells Celery and asking them if they want Candy. But if you only intend to shoot 250 yards and 1- 2 moa..any factory rifle will do it! You want to win PRS...regularly or even once..... PROBABLY NOT! Factory rifles what are they now....Christenson, Fierce, Cooper, Weatherby, Gunwerks....4-8,000.00 FACTORY GUNS! Okay they make more than one of each...that must be a factory gun...and aren't all the most accurate barrels made in factories, put into factory made stocks, with factory made actions and triggers...but when you screw the four screws in....vs...lets say a gunsmith...is it still a Custom gun...my answer is no to both....you still have an assembly of FACTORY PARTS...not one piece is CUSTOM MADE! So to answer what is a custom gun....one hand made for you...the stock made for you...never to be duplicated, a barrel turned to your only specification and never made again on an action built only for you with a Willy Wonka one of trigger in a caliber only for you.... how's this! Just me!

Last edited: