How Canting Your Rifle Affects Long Range Accuracy by Carl Taylor

Ahhh that is why I spend more time getting my bags and rest set up as well as using the 2 levels so that this is a non issue. This is a necessity if you shoot 1k BR --- getting the rifle tracking correctly in the bags is another necessity.

All of this will also help you to be a better shooter in the field as well.

Seems to me that this can be a difficult thing to sort out.

Any advice on how to properly mount and align the scope, so that the cross hair is truely vertical to the rifle bore axis and at the same time set up the spirit level pill bubble so that it is centered between the lines and is horizontal.

Obviously all three things must be set up correctly or some form of canting will be introduced

This is the thread for discussion of the article: How Canting Your Rifle Affects Long Range Accuracy by Carl Taylor

Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article. The author will have this thread automatically notify him of posts so he can join the discussion.
Under Publisher's Note: "place a straight edge at the center of a clock and the other end at 14 minutes after the hour...this is 6 degrees of cant??? Looks to me to be 84 degress of cant ! What did I miss ?

Under Publisher's Note: "place a straight edge at the center of a clock and the other end at 14 minutes after the hour...this is 6 degrees of cant??? Looks to me to be 84 degress of cant ! What did I miss ?

I think he is describing if the bottom of your rifle was on that line, it would be canted 6 degrees, as opposed to having it set level.

AJ

I think he was talking about laying the straight edge HORIZONTALLY and then when you raise the end on the right to 14 minutes you have canted 6 degrees.

6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts