How about this setup for 500+ yards 223

If you're gonna shoot to 850 with a 223, 55 grain softpoints are gonna be an awful choice, and cheap factory loads probably won't be too accurate either. For factory ammo, maybe FGMM to get you that far, or handload optimally.

I've put my WOtac next to a buckmaster and a monarch and it was running with the monarch as far as glass quality, the adjustments are much more tactile and crisp. I have yet to have it next to a Viper but I have looked through a couple and the WOtac was better in both glass and adjustments. It is generally rated better than the 3200 especially if it comes warrenty time.

I range in both MILL and MOA, I plug it into Loadbase 3.0 and it give me the range, pull up the firing solution, dial and shoot gun)I can convert back and forth at the touch of a button.

Savage is hard to beat for the money in any model. as for as glass goes just look at what every one else is using. just remember the best warranty is the one you never have to use. spend your money on good glass it makes the rifle.

DeepEastKilla - If you intend to shoot beyond 600 yards the 55grain bullets just won't make it. You will need to shoot 75grain or heavier bullets to get a .223 to go that far. Even with the heavier bullets, any wind is going to give you a problem.

My recommendation would be to look at the Remington 700 SPS Varmint in 243Win. Inexpensive rifle that you can build/upgrade because there are so many aftermarket parts for the Rem700. The 243 is a light recoiling round that can shoot heavier/higher BC bullets beyond 1k.

In terms of optics, 100moa of adjustment would not be necessary. Many have given you some good suggestions that would work - with an $800 optics budget, Leupold and Sightron would be my first choices.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.