Adequate for up to 500 yards?

Cfshooter

I am wanting to explore some long range shooting this year and not sure if I have is adequate. As of now I will start with a 500 yard max. I would also like to start with the rifles I currently have if possible. I have a Remington 700 ADL 30-06 with a 4x12 Vortex Crossfire 2 and an Ar15 with a MP 1/8 twist 5r free floated 16" barrel, carbine gas, 3x9 p223 glass. Both rifles have decent aftermarket triggers. I do not reload as of yet, but I have received a bunch of recommendations from the forum on different factory loads to try. I will be doing that in the next week or so.

Assuming I can achieve 1" or better MOA with factory loads, will my current gear work for punching paper and steel with reasonable results out to 500 yards?

If not, what kind of upgrades would be best to start with? I would say budget to $500 as of this moment.

Either should work fine. Shoot the one that you like to shoot the most and have the most fun with. I guessing it's the AR15.

You guessed that right Barrelnut! Much cheaper and easier on the body for sure. I also have been able to get 10 shot groups down to 1.18" with it. I have a few new factory loads to try in it, hopefully I can get it to 1" or less and then I will start stretching it out and see if my technique holds up.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.