horsemans mountain rifle

Really , trouble opening action...something to ponder for sure.I know I have a #1 and , as I said do not feel comfortable-especially on a pack trip eg a small machine screw fell out once. The rifle was not functional.I tighten stuff routinely on all equipment.Surprised me.

Hunted off horses for 20+ years. Started with a bolt gun, then, like Elkhunter, went to a Browning B-78 single shot. Thinner(no bolt), shorter and more compact than a bolt gun. Mine was a 25-06 rechambered to .257 Weatherby to reach out there a little farther. Shot antelope, deer, elk and moose--and never needed more than the first shot. Doing it again, I would probably step up in caliber for a little heavier bullets--6.5 or 7mm. 30 magnums can be a little much in a lightweight, compact rifle.

Elkhunter,you and I seem to be looking for pretty much the same thing in a rifle.In my opinion a single shot rifle is good as a saddle rifle and short and maneuverable in the rocks etc.It seems to me If I am going to have any additional length to the rifle-it might as well be barrel length-within limits.I have shot large game with the 25/06,people are surprised by this sometimes, but,these days it is more effective than ever.Dang,that Browning Highwall is pretty.

This is with the 25. Had one bad one on the part of the shooter.

Attachments

• 0602121459.jpg
    0602121459.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 42
esprete,elkhunter and I seem like minded.Your needle gun shoots well. Mine does to-gives a guy a boatload of confidence.What about the big belted .25?How is it on paper?

Well, not to throw a wrench in anything but a great mountain rifle that is short, medium light, magazine fed and accurate is a ruger gunsite scout rifle. I bought this for a carry round in the truck, farm atv, multiple wolf, man defense rig. I had it accurized and installed a timney trigger and I got to tell you, for a shorter rig, it is extremely accurate with factory federal match sierra 168 grain boat tails. It shoots consistently 1/2 at 100 with just plain ole factory stuff. You have a choice of a 5 round or ten round magazine and it is a pleasure to carry. It's in 308 so one could load most anything---I just happen to have a buttload of federal match from a previous life so that's what I pack. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it out to 600 ish as it holds moa to that distance. I carry it in a eberlestock mini me pack which works great for this kind of a rig. You also have a multitude of sighting options due to the fact that you can use the picitinney rail or the scope rings.
And like Broz, I've tried about every way to pack a rifle on a horse but I settled on pretty much a straight up carry. It is out of the way and you can pull the rifle out as you are dismounting for those really quick long range shots........gun):D.

Randy

Attachments

• ranch june 6 004.jpg
    ranch june 6 004.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 44
  • ruger gunsite scout rifle 002.JPG
    ruger gunsite scout rifle 002.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 50
  • All Photos on card reader one 107.JPG
    All Photos on card reader one 107.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 211.JPG
    211.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 47
It is all good.Coffee is indispensable. Thanks for the info.Got me thinking, I've got my arm in a sling or I would show my rig, horseback.to( kinda western).Elkhunter's model 95 even got me looking at the Browning BLR/takedown.Other than on this gadget I really don't see much around here and like most don't care for the city.Browning products in Canada wide are backordered.Not much new around.I value all feed back like minded or not.How else do we learn anything?Lefty huh? I will look up your rifle etc.Thanks

I might have found the answer. The' Handi rifle.'A guy can buy a crate of them for the price of one 'museum' rifle.If one doesn't work..well, grab a different one.It's a jack handle, a tent pole, a fishing rig, and if you get close enough...A shooting iron.You will always have parts, too and nobody will steal it.If I listen hard enough-yup, I can hear you agreeing

Owned two of those Handis and will never own another.
Yup, like a Harbor Freight pipe wrench - sloppy, heavy, kinda cheap, might work but probably needs work to perform.

I'd like to throw in a plug for the Kolpin plastic scabbards. I don't use horses, but have bounced stuff around for a few hundred miles over several years in one on a 4-wheeler on some rough roads and trails. Protected the rifle well, Leupold scope never changed POI. Pretty easy to get the rifle out quickly. Made a short lanyard to connect cover to the case. I'm happy.

A bad but relevant story to this whole thread, we had to go out and put an old horse down once and the only thing in the pickup was a not-so-handi rifle in .243. 6 shots later, and one traumatic experience for a young child later, the horse had still not expired. Swore I would never pick up another one again.

Just pulling your chain, guys..A rifle is a tool,and personally I like quality tools, and if you saw my shop , you would see lots of them.There is no substitute for a reliable rifle/horse/woman, and in Canada anyways, bigger is not necessarily better.What about the Browning blr/takedown?Also , I really don't see much Browning stuff And to order-1 year delivery.I am serious (this time) Cheers

My (steel) BLR 81 .358 has spent the most time in the Kolpin and has been utterly reliable. It doesn't even show finish wear, which is kind of a shame 'cause it's a bit glossy for my taste. I don't know anything about the newer alloy or takedown actions. I thought then and now, that it was the perfect setup for what I needed then - easy to transport, quick to get in and out of the case, fast to load and unload with the detachable magazine, even if you have your eyes on something else at the moment. The trigger on mine is decent but it ain't a Jewel. They can be worked on. The trigger return spring was something like 9 lbs when I got it. It's more accurate than I need. After a shot, just flick your wrist and you're ready for another, without taking your eyes off the target. I don't think you can beat it up like a '98 Mauser, but it has held up very well. Like any decent machine you need to work, do your preventive maintenance, keep some spare parts around just in case and it will perform. If a single shot will suit your needs - I vote for the Ruger.

Thanks for the info,I've got a Ruger#1,just don't trust it, you can not keep a cartridge in the chamber easily,without using the safety.This safety, I would not depend on ,especially in a saddle scabbard.So a guy is faced with,dismounting,then pulling the rifle from the scabbard, then chambering a cartridge and we know that goes flawlessly every time.Right.Who would design this feature into a hunting rifle?Hey Elkhunter1983 is the browning highwall the same in that regard?And if so ,do you find it a problem?Anyways havebeen looking at the blr but it is not available in a 25/06 as far as I can tell.Hate to say it -we need a rifle designed specifically for this purpose and a single shot like this would be ideal .Somebody from the mountains maybe will come up with it ,I dunno.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.