Optimum mountain rifle

back2bowhunting

I would like to get your thoughts on preferred caliber and rifle to tote all day in mountains and be able to take a mule deer at up to 300-400 yds. I prefer to keep rifle lightweight, but want to make sure I have enough punch for large deer. Also, interested in bullet choice. Thanks in advance.

I would like to get your thoughts on preferred caliber and rifle to tote all day in mountains and be able to take a mule deer at up to 300-400 yds. I prefer to keep rifle lightweight, but want to make sure I have enough punch for large deer. Also, interested in bullet choice. Thanks in advance.

My rifle has a Pac-Nor fluted 26" barrel with a Terminator 2 brake. The action is a Weatherby Mark V six lug ultralight. The stock is a Proof Research with a Hastings Micro cell 1.26" recoil pad and a sling. Without scope and mounts it weighs five pounds seven ounces. The cartridge matches or exceeds the .264 Win Mag. I rebarreled it recently and will start new load development in about two weeks when the scope is mounted. With the previous barrel it ran 130 grainers at 3,350 feet per second.

In 2004 I had about the same thought you have on a light mountain rifle. Up to Elk size animals out to 300 yds.
I chose the 300 WSM caliber. This rifle likes 180 Gr. bullets, First 3 shot group .625 at 100 yds. I load 180 Gr. Nosler Partition over near max. load of IMR 4350 for my hunting load. 2 Quebec Caribou, and 1 New Mexico Bull Elk to date.

The rifle is a Kimber 8400 Montana. With Kimber bases, Leopold rings, 2.5 X 8 Leopold scope, Nylon sling and 4 shells weighs about 7 lb. 4 oz.

Good Luck in your choice, Happy Hunting

In 2004 I had about the same thought you have on a light mountain rifle. Up to Elk size animals out to 300 yds.
I chose the 300 WSM caliber. This rifle likes 180 Gr. bullets, First 3 shot group .625 at 100 yds. I load 180 Gr. Nosler Partition over near max. load of IMR 4350 for my hunting load. 2 Quebec Caribou, and 1 New Mexico Bull Elk to date.

The rifle is a Kimber 8400 Montana. With Kimber bases, Leopold rings, 2.5 X 8 Leopold scope, Nylon sling and 4 shells weighs about 7 lb. 4 oz.

Good Luck in your choice, Happy Hunting

Thanks for the replies. I'm curious about the recoil and muzzle blast with Kimber Montana in 300 WSM. How bad is it and do you feel like you are thinking about it when pulling the trigger at the range?

I might consider a 7-08 with 140 grn Accubonds. That would be nice and easy to shoot in a light rifle, and carry plenty of punch out to 400 yards.

Some good ones out there.My latest is a Browning Blr takedown,.270 win, scout scope.I shortened both ends and the o.a.l of the rifle is 39".I'm horseback alot and sometimes I carry it across my lap.In real dirty weather I can take it down and put in a pack .Really like it.

Some good ones out there.My latest is a Browning Blr takedown,.270 win, scout scope.I shortened both ends and the o.a.l of the rifle is 39".I'm horseback alot and sometimes I carry it across my lap.In real dirty weather I can take it down and put in a pack .Really like it.

Back2bowhunting. When the Kimber 8400 Montana WSM series came out 2003 or 2004. Their first advertisements listed Melvin Forbes of Ultra Lite Arms for designing the stock for the 8400 Montana Series. Mr. Forbes is very respected for designing rifle stocks that make recoil acceptable on Magnum light weight hunting rifles.

The felt recoil with my 300 WSM 180 Gr. hunting load is about the same as 140 Gr. or 150 Gr hunting loads out of my 700 Rem. 270 Win. The rifle kicks straight back not up and into your face.

I done 2 things to this rifle when I got it. I polished the trigger with 8000 grit stone and adjusted it to 3 lb. I also loaded 40 cast Gas Check bullets coated with fire lapping compound, cleaning every 5 shots, Then cleaned barrel before I started shooting jacketed bullets to develop a hunting load.

I am very happy with this rifle. But there is a lot of good and bad reviews on this rifle on the internet forums. Good Luck in your choice, Happy Hunting.

What's your price range? You can buy a Ruger American in a 270 or a 30/06 for about $350. (Personally this is what I would buy in the 06) Or you could buy one of many higher priced rifles. In the mountains if you fall and bang up that high priced rifle its going to hurt a hell of lot more than with a cheaper rifle that will get the job done all the same. Plus, if you don't load your own ammo you can buy 30/06 ammo just about anyplace.

I like Ruger products. My dad has a Ruger he bought new in late 80s that's built like a tank. Nice workmanship that will last but it weighs like a tank too. I prefer to keep rifle in $800 range but may scrape for change to get Sako finnlight if I like it enough.

I weighed several rifle setups today. My son's 7mm08 that I really like weighs 8 lbs. my two deer rifles Winchester model 70 in .270 and Sako finnbear AIII 7mm08 rem. magnum and both weigh 10 lbs. rigged out.

Since I can't get comfortable with lightweight magnum and to keep costs down, I'm considering using my Sako more. Currently I don't use it because it has old Nikon scope that is not very bright and I don't want to scratch the gun. I may purchase some chaps and mount new scope and suck it up for extra two pounds to have magnum capability. Not exactly what I wanted to do but may be most practical.

Thanks for all the input. Scope and rifle chaps suggestions appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.