Optimum Ibex rifle

kirkeb

Hello all, I am heading to Kyrgyzstan to hunt mid-Asian ibex in September. Does anyone on here have any experience with hunting these animals? What would be a good caliber and bullet combo for them. Thanks

First of all congrats on what could be a great hunt. Ibex are a goat and can take a bit of lead if not hit right. I would suggest no smaller than a .28 caliber and a 160 grain bullet. Ranges can be long. My ibex was about 400. My son's was a good deal further. At times the wind can really blow and less wind drift is a great thing. Lots of folks use a .300 WM especially for that reason. You could certainly use something lighter, but on a trip of a lifetime with a trophy I'd rather be over gunned than under gunned. I've been to Kyrg 2 times if you have any questions I may be able to help. Bruce

Thanks Bruce! I have a 270wsm in a tikka t3 light I was thinking about taking, loaded with either a 140 swift a frame or 140 Barnes TTSX. I also have a 7wsm set up for long range hunting, it loves the 180 and 195 bergers. I've taken Audad at 400 yards with it and black bear in BC at 200. The only downfall is that the rifle weighs a little over 9 lbs. I do have a custom 300wm in the arsenal that is fairly light. I may decide to go with that. I assume that the ibex will be pretty high that early? 1200 ft plus? How is the country in regards to firearms import/export? Thanks in advance

As long as you have the correct paperwork in advance there is no problem getting guns in. As long as Turkish air delivers it on time...... We hunted over 12000 ft. My son's was closer to 14,000. Hard to prepare for that. The .270 WSM will do the job. The Siberian Ibex is about 1/4 to 1/3 bigger than Auodad so take that into consideration. Shot placement will trump caliber. Good bullets will also make a huge difference. Bruce

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts