optimum powder

G

Is there a program out ther that gives you the optimum powder to use in a rifle. I am wanting to try some hodgdon powder in a 270 win with a 22 inch barrel and 130g and 90g bullets. If someone has a program that figures this out could you run the numbers for me. Thanks

only the rifle can tell you what it likes,books,programs etc.. are only "suggestions" on what what might work for you.as far as the .270 goes-in my experience they arent that fickle as to what powder works[obviousy some will work better than others],just select a couple different powders for each bullet weight and let em fly-my-2-dave

I've been working on a program to calculate the ideal powder. This is what it shows for your requirement:
H-414 N-150 S-361
Aa-2700 W-760 Ar-2209 R-904
I-4350 H-4350 S-365 TU-7000
N-550 Aa-4350 N-204 Brg4351 RL-19 I-4831 Ar2213 H-450

Faster powders are listed first. Powders on the same line are essentially equivalent in speed but not energy. That means they don't use the same amount of powder to produce the same pressure.

The middle powders are best for the medium weight bullet, 130 gr. and the powders listed first are a little better for the lighter bullet, 110 gr.

Therefore, you are probably best off with H-4350 but can try H-414.

Use the "Powley Computer". I've used it for some time now and it gives pretty accurate load info. If you can't find it, drop me a line and I can send you a copy.

TH

In the past I have had very good success with IMR-4350 and 4831. Used mostly 4350. With IMR now sold I though I would try some hodgdon powder. They list H1000, 4831, and 4350 as the top 3. I was wondering if the slower powder would all burn in a shorter barrel.

Here is my hunting buddy's load info for 270--he is consistant and an excellent shot:

Here are the 2 loads I use in my .270. They are max or beyond max in some manuals but I have a long chamber and I have no pressure problems and I have chronographed them too. My rifle likes near max loads. Work up as usual.

Sierra 130 SPBT----57 grs IMR 4350---Win primer.
Horn 140 SPBT---55 grs IMR 4350---Win primer.

The later is my favorite and seems to almost always exit on deer. I have played with a wide variety of powders but have found no reason to use any other type now. CCI primers shoot okay but the Win primers give me a little lower SD and tighter groups (I have noticed this in other calibers also so I have switched).
Good luck.

Hope this helps!lightbulb

I get to work on a lot of .270's through our accurizing business. I don't like the reloading software as it never takes into account the variations in throat length and bore tolerence variations from rifle to rifle along with differences in brass thickness. Nevertheless, after working on .270's year in, year out, I have found a fairly basic formula.

Using U.S made brass (I prefer Win or Hornady) and 130 to 150 grain bullets:

In long throated .270's which allow for a COAL of 86mm (3.385") or greater (for a 40 thou jump), H4831sc works best.

In short throated rifles with a working COAL of 84mm (3.300"), it is almost impossible to fit enough H4831sc into the case to obtain optimum velocities. In such instances, H4350 gives best results.

For light 90 grain bullets, H4350 will suffice however Varget is also good.

Becasuse many of my clients also use our outfitter services and want to hunt pigs at longer ranges, I usually try to develop a load utilizing a 150 grain bullet at maiximum yet safe velocities. In most instances, due to the trend towards shorter throated factory rifles, 54 to 55 grains of H4350 is the optimum choice, giving 2920fps in 22" barreled rifles and around 2950fps in 24" barreled rifles.

A couple of clients have pushed 150 grain loads as high as 2980 to 3000fps and have been using these loads for many years. This is however, relative to individual barrel tolerances. In contrast, I accurized an A-Bolt which had such a short throat that factory ammo was jammed into the lands during chambering. The A-Bolt suffered sticky extraction with factory ammo and with 150 grain hand loaded bullets, could not be loaded past 2800fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.