Optimum 7mm-08 twist rate

I'm curious as to the reason(s) why you want to go to 7mm-08 from 308W.

Pet caliber I have reloaded for years after meeting and talking to Col Craig Boddington at a NRA convention. Already have Lots of brass, and bullets. I shoot 708 for anything below 300lbs and 300wm for anything above. always have had exceptional accuracy of 1/2" with good split of BC and velocity between 308 and 260. Really like Seekins rifles for the cost and found one in 308 very reasonable specifically for this conversion.

Pet caliber I have reloaded for years after meeting and talking to Col Craig Boddington at a NRA convention. Already have Lots of brass, and bullets. I shoot 708 for anything below 300lbs and 300wm for anything above. always have had exceptional accuracy of 1/2" with good split of BC and velocity between 308 and 260. Really like Seekins rifles for the cost and found one in 308 very reasonable specifically for this conversion.
Then you have it. Already have brass and dies and even bullets. I was just throwing some food for thought. I have a couple of 7-08's too. I don't think the 8.5 twist would hurt you at all, but for the capacity of a 308 based case, you really couldn't take advantage of it with any efficiency. Hornady recommends a 9.5 twist minimum for the 162's. With a 9 twist you could shoot up to a 180 VLD. I'd go with the 9 twist myself. Just remember that the heavier bullets require a longer throat to keep from eating powder capacity. So, you should plan that out as well.

Then you have it. Already have brass and dies and even bullets. I was just throwing some food for thought. I have a couple of 7-08's too. I don't think the 8.5 twist would hurt you at all, but for the capacity of a 308 based case, you really couldn't take advantage of it with any efficiency. Hornady recommends a 9.5 twist minimum for the 162's. With a 9 twist you could shoot up to a 180 VLD. I'd go with the 9 twist myself. Just remember that the heavier bullets require a longer throat to keep from eating powder capacity. So, you should plan that out as well.
Hornady and bartlein also suggested 9 twist up to 162 and I'm considering Wyatt's bottom to load long. Thanks for the input sir

You're quite welcome. I just looked again. Berger is saying a 9 twist even for their 195 EOL. Unless you find 24" cumbersome either in weight or length, I'd do that as well for the little gain in velocity. You can always shorten it. It's tough to stretch 'em.

8.5 vs 9 twist, trying to split hairs….
It's a good place to be. When you start shopping barrels, having a range can be helpful.

I would like a 20-24" barrel. My gut tells me 22".

i would start with the 139gr CX or maybe a Hammer.

Recently, I started running 180g ELD M(.796 BC) in 280, AI, and 7 Rem Mag, it is life-changing to see the results in a lack of bullet drop and wind drift.

280 Rem is amazing with just a smidge of powder with the 180g ELD M!

The 7/08 with a 160g TMK and 162 eld X & M are a hammer, 9T unless you are shooting in Extreme cold, below Zero weather. Your style of hunting will determine your barrel length, walking = shorter barrels, sitting in a blind or tree stand + longer barrels, make the barrel as long as you like as long as the handling is good. You can always cut the barrel off and re-crown at a later date if it is too long. I like the Wyatt's extended mag boxes, but rarely if ever shoot more than one shot on a deer or hog, so need in detachable.

It is prudent to play close attention to the BC on the bullets you choose, within reason. BC means more impact velocity, less wind drift, and less bullet drop.

Last edited: