Optimum weight for 1000y, .308

Here is my situation to give yall a little more to go on.

I shoot a Tikka Tactical 308 with a 20" barrel with a 1:11" twist. I currently shoot a 175 gr. SMK BTHP out to 1000 yard steel, but am wanting to see if there is an actual "hunting bullet" that is capable of the same long range accuracy. My 175 gr load for the SMK uses 42 gr. of Varget.

From everything I have read and researched, there is a balance you have to find between bullet weight, BC, and FPS to get you there. Sound right so far?

I have read some good reviews on the Berger VLC hunting bullet, but am a little concerned about the length of bullet fitting into my Tikka mag. (I want them to be mag fed).

Soo. What advice can any of yall throw my way? Thanks in advance.

Here is my situation to give yall a little more to go on.

I shoot a Tikka Tactical 308 with a 20" barrel with a 1:11" twist. I currently shoot a 175 gr. SMK BTHP out to 1000 yard steel, but am wanting to see if there is an actual "hunting bullet" that is capable of the same long range accuracy. My 175 gr load for the SMK uses 42 gr. of Varget.

From everything I have read and researched, there is a balance you have to find between bullet weight, BC, and FPS to get you there. Sound right so far?

I have read some good reviews on the Berger VLC hunting bullet, but am a little concerned about the length of bullet fitting into my Tikka mag. (I want them to be mag fed).

Soo. What advice can any of yall throw my way? Thanks in advance.

Try the Berger 175 VLD's or 185 VLD's and seat them to where they fit in your mag...Adjust your powder charge to find your node, instead of finding your charge, then adjusting your seating depth. I have to do this on certain calibers that I use for hunting (repeater). The rest of mine I shoot them as a single-shot, even though they have BDL bottom metal setups.

Try the Berger 175 VLD's or 185 VLD's and seat them to where they fit in your mag...Adjust your powder charge to find your node, instead of finding your charge, then adjusting your seating depth. I have to do this on certain calibers that I use for hunting (repeater). The rest of mine I shoot them as a single-shot, even though they have BDL bottom metal setups.

thanks for the reply. Is there a certain element of the VLD bullet that makes it better than a BTHP? Is that the bullet you would recommend in my situation? Thanks again.

Berger 185 VLD G7: 0.281 MV@ 2550fps 1K@1215fps @100 yard zero -38.4 MOA drop

Seirra 175 BTHP matchking G7: 0.243 MV@2600fps 1K@1091fps (subsonic) @100 yard zero -41.0 MOA/ 429.5"/35ft drop.

With a stiff load the berger is the one with the best chance and either way its the one with superior LR perf in terms of retained vel and bucking the wind. The only issue might be case volume.

Do not let the G1 BC values fool you. Take the 175 BTHP lists as a G1 0.505 BC but that is only at vel over 2800 fps. Under that it drops down to where you are @ the Mv is around .496

If you do not have a Ballistics program try using the JBM Calculator and if there is a (Litz) version of the bullet you are looking at in the drop down list pick it as it has a true tested G7 BC factor which is good for entire flight and vel. The numbers I listed above for the two bullets are the G7 from Litz test results.

You can see the superiority of the Berger VLD. Starting 50 fps slower @ 1K its almost 125 fps faster, a 175fps dif from MV. Not to mention the Bergers are proven to be very good perf hunting bullets with any reasonable velocity. Same can not be said of the SMK and certainly not at these vel. unless you are sure to hit bone.

A stiff load of varget might get you there. Honestly to keep them in the mag just adds one more thing against getting it out there.

IIRC for the 175s 45 gr of varget in LC brass should get you to 2600 or there bouts. Obviously work up to it.

Personally unless there is some very specific reason to feed from the mag at these ranges I would single load and seat it out to lands or close to it and gain the case volume not to mention possibly better accuracy. At that range there is little benefit to loading from the mag if you are prone or on the bench. After all 50 fps could be the difference between things opening up or throwing nice tight groups. Thus an extra 2 grs of powder from seating long could make the diff. Not saying it will just that it might be worth considering.

Berger 185 VLD G7: 0.281 MV@ 2550fps 1K@1215fps @100 yard zero -38.4 MOA drop

Seirra 175 BTHP matchking G7: 0.243 MV@2600fps 1K@1091fps (subsonic) @100 yard zero -41.0 MOA/ 429.5"/35ft drop.

With a stiff load the berger is the one with the best chance and either way its the one with superior LR perf in terms of retained vel and bucking the wind. The only issue might be case volume.

Do not let the G1 BC values fool you. Take the 175 BTHP lists as a G1 0.505 BC but that is only at vel over 2800 fps. Under that it drops down to where you are @ the Mv is around .496

If you do not have a Ballistics program try using the JBM Calculator and if there is a (Litz) version of the bullet you are looking at in the drop down list pick it as it has a true tested G7 BC factor which is good for entire flight and vel. The numbers I listed above for the two bullets are the G7 from Litz test results.

You can see the superiority of the Berger VLD. Starting 50 fps slower @ 1K its almost 125 fps faster, a 175fps dif from MV. Not to mention the Bergers are proven to be very good perf hunting bullets with any reasonable velocity. Same can not be said of the SMK and certainly not at these vel. unless you are sure to hit bone.

A stiff load of varget might get you there. Honestly to keep them in the mag just adds one more thing against getting it out there.

IIRC for the 175s 45 gr of varget in LC brass should get you to 2600 or there bouts. Obviously work up to it.

Personally unless there is some very specific reason to feed from the mag at these ranges I would single load and seat it out to lands or close to it and gain the case volume not to mention possibly better accuracy. At that range there is little benefit to loading from the mag if you are prone or on the bench. After all 50 fps could be the difference between things opening up or throwing nice tight groups. Thus an extra 2 grs of powder from seating long could make the diff. Not saying it will just that it might be worth considering.
Appreciate the reply. That's exactly what I needed to know

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.