Hornady Precision Hunter Ammunition 30-06 Springfield 178 Grain ELD-X

Jon Bischof

Any of you have experience with this Hornady ammo? Performance?
I know it is sort of a newbie question and may not be of any interest to handloaders unless you are thinking of loading this .308 bullet. But there's a lot of experience on this forum, so I thought I'd run it up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes.

what about accuracy and performance on game? Looking for experience, not just go spend your money and try it out for us. The reason I posted the question is that I don't have the money you guys have, so I need better information before I spend my meager income.

what about accuracy and performance on game? Looking for experience, not just go spend your money and try it out for us. The reason I posted the question is that I don't have the money you guys have, so I need better information before I spend my meager income.
you are not going to know if your rifle will shoot them till you try they are a good bullet and will kill just fine

Well in AR, there isn't really anything you need premium ammo for. Any factory 180 gr softpoint ammo will kill anything you run across.

Any of you have experience with this Hornady ammo? Performance?
I know it is sort of a newbie question and may not be of any interest to handloaders unless you are thinking of loading this .308 bullet. But there's a lot of experience on this forum, so I thought I'd run it up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes.
It shot very well in my model 70 lightweight. I killed a cow with one shot at 630 yards. Bullet worked well. That's all I have. It's a soft, LONG range bullet, so keep that in mind. Might not be best for 400 yards and under , where bc hardly matters at all. What's your purpose with this load and rifle?

Thanks Montucky for sharing your first hand experience. Hornady claims this bullet will perform at 1800 fps at long range or at 3200 fps at close range and not overexpand. That is the reason why I asked this question. Your experience bears out that it worked well at 630 yards. Your cow elk bears witness. True, BC doesn't matter under 200 yards very much but I've killed deer from 20 yards to almost 400 where I hunt in Arkansas (not Florida 🤣) so I'm interested in a bullet that performs well on game at a wide spectrum of range.

By the way, my favorite rifle is still a Winchester Featherweight in 270 WSM. What is your Winchester 70?

It should work if your gun shoots them well. It was actually the only factory ammo, that I tried, that this particular rifle would shoot well. Out of 4 different boxes, brands. So it's worth a shot. The bullet is a basic cup and core with just a hint of an interlock ring. Not bonded or anything. Good for deer especially from an 06 or 308.

I have done range time with the Hornady ELD-X ammo in my 6.5C (3 of them), in a 280REM and 270 WIN MOD 70 classic. Ammo was accurate enough, 1 inch or smaller groups. My son took his first deer at 350 yards with the 270 with the 145 ELD-X and the bullet performed flawlessly. I will gladly use that loading in the future, I have the 30-06 178 ELD-X ammo to try in my MOD70 but have not shot it yet.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.