Hornady ELDX Performance

• Thread starter Deleted member 112099
  • Start date
2 thoughts here.

First it sounds like you should have gone and recovered your animal before going to the truck. Your assumption that the deer was dead led to its suffering, not the bullet. Same thing can happen with any bullet.

Second, shot placement is key with those types of bullets, and square shoulder shots are not ideal. I killed my bull elk at 400yds and a big mule deer at 525yds this year with 142gr SMK, putting my shots just behind the shoulder where the bullet went off like a grenade in the chest cavity. The elk fell right back into the bed it had just stood up from and the deer went 20'. Scrambled heart and lungs inside and no lost meat in the shoulders, exactly what I was expecting and why I chose that bullet.
Two thoughts that should've been let go..
this guy just posted his real life experience. I guess had he known that YOU completely disagree, he would've kept it to himself?

Do you know what hybrid means?
hybrid
[ˈhīˌbrid]
NOUN
  1. biology
    the offspring of two plants or animals of different species or varieties, such as a mule (a hybrid of a donkey and a horse).
    "a hybrid of wheat and rye"
    synonyms:
    cross · crossbreed · mixed-breed · mixture · blend · meld · amalgam ·
    mixture · blend · mingling · combination · compound · fusion ·
    [more]
ADJECTIVE
  1. of mixed character; composed of mixed parts.
    "Mexico's hybrid postconquest culture"
Lets stick to comparing apples to apples.

Thanks for the entertainment for a few minutes. Do you know why they call it the Hybrid? It is because it is a blend of secant and target ogive. It is still a "target" bullet. It seems as if you are trying to pick and choose which match or target bullet is or is not ok for hunting.

@FEENIX

459C9658-93F8-474E-B232-C0793F272FF7.gif

I shot a deer in the spine with a 22long rifle did the same thing. I think it was a match grade bullet though.

Hey all
New to the site. Just wanted to let you all know what my experience was with this bullet. 7mm rem mag 162 hornady eldx. 269 yards mule deer broadside in the crease, perfect placement.
Deer went 30 yards and dropped. Perfect? Not really. When I looked at entrance which was perfect placement. There was stomach grass coming out of the entrance? No exit. After cleaning and skinning it was apparent that the jacket and core separated at contact. The core turned right into body cavity and exploded. Essentially gut shooting my deer from the heart. All that was found was the shell of the jacket on off side. These bullets are unpredictable and have a dangerous behavior. The core could have went anywhere, as it was ejected from jacket free to go wherever. A wandering bullet can not be safe.
FYI

Obviously you get to chose what bullet you shoot but it sounds like this bullet did its job. It sounds like you will need to change bullets to suit your wants.

This year my buddy killed his moose at 200 yds with a heart shot 162 gr ELDX. I did not go gut diving but I can tell you the moose went 15 yds and died.

If you want a bullet that is designed to pass through go to partitions or Barnes TTSX. However, the BC for both of these is not optimal.

Last edited:
That could well be, but I have seen more than once when bullets literally turned 90 degrees! Sounds crazy bit it isn't!
I shot a moose once by a beaver pond at 30 yds. and watched 180 gr. Hornady do a 90 degree exit across the pond. Point....bullets, travelling at warp speeds, do weird and wonderful things, once they loose their symmetry in fluids.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.