Hornady ELDX Performance

• Thread starter Deleted member 112099
  • Start date
It has been long suggested, until the long range craze started, by most bullet manufacturers....that match bullets were "not" designed for hunting purposes! Hence the reason that bullet manufacturers produced, both, match bullets and hunting bullets.

People have been using match bullets for many (30+) years that I am aware of, with mixed reviews. Sometimes the results were spectacular.....sometimes the failures were spectacular. Much as what we are experiencing with some of today. Memtb
I made that mistake back in 1984 when a friend talked me into giving up my Speer Grand Slams for Sierra match kings. I worked up a load with 4064 that shot very tight so I made a couple boxes and took them with me on a drawing hunt on an old civil war plantation state park near Charleston SC. I took an 8-point broadside at about 100 yds he dropped where he stood. No exit wound and only a teaspoon of blood spilled out the entrance, but who cares he didn't take a step. Per the hunt rules we had to take them to the ranger station before gutting. Anyway the heart and lungs were liquid, the paunch and liver had a dozen or so small holes from the jacket looked like a grenade went off in there. My buddy killed a yearling doe shot a bit back on the last rib...the paunch exploded, it was a mess. Day 2 I shot a 180lb boar hog behind the shoulder and knocked him over, but he got back up and ran, my second shot hit an inch below his anus and he went down for good. 1st shot made a 5" wide 1/2" deep superficial wound in the plate he probably would have survived. 2nd shot penetrated to the liver and exploded into a nasty mess. I learned my lesson, I pulled all the bullets when I got back home.

My son took a small bull @60 yds with an Eldx through the shoulder and we found cup and some of the core. I wouldn't say it's a terrible bullet.

It's legs just folded up and it went down without any movement .175 ELDX. 360yards. I am not saying it works any better but it works. and I have shot well over 1500 coyotes with Hornady bullets,and [berger bullets 25.gr.17rem]

Attachments

• 20190831_131356.jpg
    20190831_131356.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 98
Last edited:
okie man

I am not sure exactly what you are saying or who it was actually directed to since you misused the quote option, but I hope you are not trying to say a bull tahr weighs 75lbs. If so I think you need to do a little more reading/researching/fact checking. For the record that is exactly what the elk I shot at 800 yards did just don't have it on camera.

On another note let us pretend we are shooting 75lb animals many are trying to imply that a target/match bullet can't/shouldn't be used for hunting so after they are shown that is incorrect they try to backtrack and set all kinds of stipulations. So I guess if the animal is small enough and the bullet is large enough it is ok? I am seriously confused.

In my personally opinion to use these so called match bullets they should be on the larger for caliber size which is all I shoot. Yes I use bigger bullets because they kill quicker(here goes another argument). I don't see the point of using small bullets unless it is for a younger shooter.

Last edited:
The Federal Fusion ammo have been very accurate for me. The pictures here are of one of my 270's on paper at 100 yards and a 7/8 group at 200 yards on steel with a 6.5 Creedmoor out of a Weatherby Vanguard. Also the Fusion shoots great out of a 243 mod 70 featherweight and another mod 70 270. Thats 4 rifle that shoot fusion ammo accurately.

Have you shot some animals with these bullets ? For whatever reason, I haven't heard much about the terminal performance of the Fusions. It would seem to me that they would hold together well and penetrate properly. What has your experience with them shown ?

"I killed up couple deer with my truck and the manufacturer does not recommend it even though it seems to work great!"
I really enjoyed the above quote. I don't claim to be an expert in extreme long-range hunting but I'm a genuine, certified expert in motor vehicle vs. deer accidents. I also have probably killed about 2 dozen whitetails in my life while hunting. And well over a couple hundred as a result of MV accidents. I'm a retired deputy sheriff from and extremely deer rich county in Nebraska and of the, about 20 years I've worked well over 1000 car/deer accidents. Many of these corn fed deer can be well over 200 lbs and I have known of some topping 300. [Sorry Texas but not everything in down there is bigger :) ]. About 30% or more of these deer were still alive when I got there. So from a range of around 2 feet I have killed a lot of severely wounded deer with .22lr, 380 acp., 38 spl., 9mm, 40cal. and 45acp. And some more at anywhere from 50ft. to 250 yards with a 22lr, 223 rem., 243 win., 308win., 30-06 spr., 12 ga. 00 buck and my former Sheriff's favorite, the 1 oz 12 gauge slug. You can decide which of the above is appropriate for range vs. bullet and most of you will be correct.
I have seen a 115gr 9mm JHP go through a doe's skull and exit out the bottom and she promptly jumped up and ran 3 or 4 steps, then collapsed and it was over. If I wasn't the officer that fired that shot I would not have believed it!
My point is no matter what pipsqueak round or teeth rattling shoulder cannon you have, it can work beautifully or fail miserably. As for our family motor vehicles vs. deer category, Our daughter hit 1, my wife got 2, I got 7 with one patrol car or another and 1 more with my pickup and it was broad daylight. And I was only putt-zing along at 25 MPH. What kind of deer can't avoid a pickup crawling along at 25?

You can't be serious...
Apparently.

Just one more of these marathon "terrible bullet" debacles. So far this season on two
websites Nosler Accubond, Sierra Game King, Hornady ELD-X, and Berger Classic Hunter have all been classed as "terrible". Wow! Who knew? When you read some of the posts you come away with the scary realization that not only do some of these people actually carry loaded firearms about they shoot things. Some consider themselves a chip off the old "Natty Bumppo" block and their shots are always true to the mark and if the wounded critter does not fall immediately to the blow there must be something amiss with the projectile.

Last edited:
Kids just continuing to argue whose bullet is better, sooo, soo, tiresome you guys,,, give it a rest. By the way MY BULLET IS BETTER than either of yours combined!!!!

Just kidding,,,,
Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

I think that everybody likes a different bullet depending on whether they are rib cage shooters or shoulder shooters. That seems to be at the root of most of these discussions.

I started a thread a few weeks or so ago about" bigger is better truth or theory". Main reason I started that thread was because of situations such as this one. 7mm vs deer and not good results goes right in line with what I have seen in my experience. Seems the caliber for animal has a lot to do with the drt kills, 7mm vs any deer is going to win period but is it the best choice or to much gun? A slower caliber 7mm like the 7mm08 has far better drt results then the 7mm rem has on any deer sized game if shot in the boiler room. A lot of good posts in that thread about this subject and a lot of different opinions but most of them lead to the right caliber for animal above all else. There are videos of guys shooting deer with 50bmg's and the deer run off after good hits, then there are videos of people taking elk at 600 plus yards with a 243 and they drop like a ton of bricks.... I wonder if it's not a projectile issue but rather an issue of to fast a round for the animals body to do what intended to do. If it was a slower round maybe it would have never made it into the guts, probably wouldnt have left the boiler room at all or maybe it still would have.... as for the eldx I have shot deer with the 6.5 creedmoor 143 eldx and had 1 drt and 1 run 40 yards. 6mm creedmoor 103 eldx all 3 have been drt so I trust the projectile so far...

Last edited:
This thread has taken a dramatic left turn. I'm not even sure what it was about anymore. however, I do love some of the posts I am seeing.
just a little FYI.. 230 grain ball rounds out of a 1911 at 50 yards do quite well on breaking rocks, making splatters in dirt, and do a really great job at making deer heads jerk to one side when hit or so I have been told by friends.. no personal experience. *L*

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.