Hornady ELDX Performance

• Thread starter Deleted member 112099
  • Start date
Bonded bullets are just not as accurate period. Can they shoot? Yes, but on average they will NEVER compete with cup and core. I personally prefer my bullet to come apart rather than stay together because of the kills I have witnessed the coming apart puts animals down faster.
I'd bet you'd change your tune if you were hunting dangerous game. What about that twig you didn't see or had to shoot thru, and now the bullet came apart prematurely. Everything always goes perfect right-no, it doesn't. What about raking shots? Lots of reasons to not use these bullets. The animal is not always going to stand there broadside clear of the brush and say "Ok now you can shoot me". What about that heavy bone you didn't intend to hit. "No problem, I'll just shoot another elk tomorrow".
Your limited experience trumps the continual threads that keep coming on here year after year saying, "gee, I lost my elk..." or "not an optimal shot", "bad angle", "didn't mean to hit the bone", "dang wind gust..", "doggone branch, didn't see it". You get my point, the bullets are fragile. If bad things happen, your chances of leaving a dead elk on the mountain are increased. Sure, they kill, and sure, the same crap can happen with any bullet but... they will happen less with a good hunting bullet, and that is a fact.

Last edited:
This year my buddy killed his moose at 200 yds with a heart shot 162 gr ELDX this year. I did not go gut diving but I can tell you the moose went 15 yds and died.

If you want a bullet that is designed to pass through go to partitions or Barnes TTSX. However, the BC for both of these is not optimal.

.308 168-GR. SIERRA MATCH KING BTHP
BC = .462

.270 150-gr. NOSLER PARTITION SPITZER
BC = .465 :D

Each at 2,800-fps ...

Last edited:
Any body have experience with the .338 230 grain ELD-X? especially interested in 338 win mag or 338-06speeds or around 2750? I have a 338wsm, and although 225 accubonds shoot real well in my gun they are spendy and or non existant in the stores near me.

Oh ill be using them for deer out to maybe 300 yards. Most of my shots on game are in the 50-200 yard range. And steel out to 670. Id like to have 1 load for both. These looked like a decent option.

I can't answer your question on the 230 eldx, but I did kill two elk last month with 285 gr ELDM out of my 338 rum. Shot was 492 yards. One elk was perfect DRT behind the shoulder golf ball sized exit. The other was behind the shoulder, about 10 inches up from the brisket, elk ran about 50 yards not showing any signs of being hit, then piled up, dead. Bullet went in and part of it turned 90 degrees going straight up the on side ribs, exiting a rib and blood shot behind the back strap. I can honestly say I have never seen a bullet do this before.I love the 225 accubond for shorter shots, below 600. I also bought some swift scirraco II's 210 gr but haven't worked up a good load yet.

I shot 5 whitetail with 143 grain eldx out of my 6.5 creedmore Saturday . None of then lived to talk about it. Didn't have to track any either. I would say they work just fine.
And that is my experience also with 143 ELD-X 6.5 CM.

I had to sit this one out simply because I got banned for a similar discussion but with a dood who probably watch to many YouTube videos of "the real gunsmith."

However, with the OP, there was a little bit of opinion which was how a bullet "should" perform, some conjecture on safety of the bullet (***?) and then anecdotal of his/her experience. Collectively, I think it's apparent that most people know that a ELD-X will make something wake up dead pretty hard, or at least as good or bad as the next bullet. I think it can be considered a fact. As my man Ben Shapiro would say, facts don't care about your feelings.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.