Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

gohring3006

Thanks for the info on the 225 eld m! Im hopefull that the 10 twist will work. Its encouraging that it states a 10 twist will work on the box I was also skeptical of the high BC claim but after reading more on hornadys web page about this and the chart Gohring supplied I understand it better.

Your welcome, I'm pretty confident it will work in a 10 twist.
The reason is, it's a new bullet and after reading about their new ballistic calculator, they actually did several test with this bullet and different 10 twist rifles to demonstrate the drag curve.. They got something like 1.64 SG factor with the Dopplar. So I don't see them listing it for any other twist than what will fully stabilize, but time will tell.
It's Ohio gun season right now so I doubt I will get to test them until it's over. Unless I get a deer soon. Lol

Your welcome, I'm pretty confident it will work in a 10 twist.
The reason is, it's a new bullet and after reading about their new ballistic calculator, they actually did several test with this bullet and different 10 twist rifles to demonstrate the drag curve.. They got something like 1.64 SG factor with the Dopplar. So I don't see them listing it for any other twist than what will fully stabilize, but time will tell.
It's Ohio gun season right now so I doubt I will get to test them until it's over. Unless I get a deer soon. Lol
You can use a high power rifle in Ohio other than a straight wall case now?

Getting some 178gr ELD-X's in. I haven't read much data in this thread about using them in a .308. Thinking of starting at 42gr of Varget and trying to work my way up to 43gr. What distance off the lands should I start with? What I normally do is start .01 off and move back in increments of .01 and fine tune from there but anything that will save me time and powder is much appreciated.

That is what I thought you meant but wasn't sure if they changed the laws again.

Not yet, I would think they could zone it out in certain parts of the state where it's more open and less populated. But then you would have thousands of hunters pouring into those zones, creating a population problem..

Not yet, I would think they could zone it out in certain parts of the state where it's more open and less populated. But then you would have thousands of hunters pouring into those zones, creating a population problem..

Yeah if they just made certain areas open to high powers then people would flock to them. That happens here in WV in some places. I live in the Northern Panhandle and Ohio is 10 min West and PA is 5 min East so you get a big influx of hunters from our neighboring states hunting here and vise versa.

Meh...I started hunting in PA with a Smith Corona 1903a3 when I was 13.
We lived 30 miles west of Philadelphia.

Any safety is only as good as the operator.

I passed on a shot on the largest 10 pt buck I ever saw because I would have had to shoot over a road.

Never mind that 3 cars a day might pass on that road...or that I could hear them coming 5 minutes before I saw them.

Against the law to fire over the roadway...so I simply watched. :)

just saying...Indiana has the same silly restrictions...on farm land where you can see open fields for miles...you need to use a slug gun. ( btw ..recently updated law...some changes..don't know specifics):D

Without reading 172 pages, I'll just post my results. My wife killed a bull elk at 546 yards this season. 300 RUM. 200 ELDX. One shot, directly behind shoulder not hitting the scapula but smashing through ribs. No exit and did not recover bullet, but animal didn't take a step. Month later, I shot my bull on the run at 78 yard. Hit about liver area and stuck in hide below opposite front shoulder. Elk dropped. Dead 10 sec later. Recovered bullet. After cleaning, 78g remained of the 200g. Just my info for the year. Thought it was a pretty good test for one being 78 yards and the other being 546 both on a big animal. Will say they don't shoot quiet as well as the 200g Accubonds from same rifle

DNR gets clarification on new rifle law for deer hunting - 4/5/2016 - State of Indiana

Just looked up the new law...even more crazy than I thought...

So 6mm OK, but 6.5mm and 7mm not.

But no worry...300 Wisper and 300 RUM both are good to go.

300 RUM for Indiana whitetail.... and this was their compromise for limiting the calibers?

Educated idiots in the state capital making decisions.
These same people think if they let the people use suppressors, more people would die..

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.