Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

Hornady® 4DOF™ Ballistic Calculator Overview - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc
Here's is some more input on Hornadys Trajectory prediction tech.
It seems the BC of a bullet is becoming obsolete...
The Video explains how the 4 DOF works. I'm going to gets some input tomorrow so I can enter a accurate Axial form factor in the program. Then I'm going to take it to 1200 yards.... I think they are trying to give the most accurate BCs possible across a wide average of shots, because they know many people still use, and want to use the BC trajectory prediction..

Got a couple boxes of the new Hornady 147 gr ELD Match bullets the other day, wanted to see how they compared to the 143 gr ELD-X bullets , Hornady claims the 147 gr ELD Match bullet has a .697 g1 bc /.351 g7 bc vs the 143 gr ELD-X with .625 g1 bc/.315 g7 bc ..... I used a Hornady digital caliper and Hornady #5/26 comparator ( no bias. lol ) to get these numbers from 25 bullets, each picked at random from the box, in the dimensions pic shown were the most consistent numbers I got with several + - ..... Now I know these measurements are not perfectly accurate and you will get slightly different results, this was to satisfy my own curiosity and I figured may as well share my findings ....
If I did my math correctly (y'all can check my math) this is what I see ....
6.5 mm Hornady bullets
143 gr ELD-X vs 147 gr ELD Match ......
the 147 gr ELD Match bullet is ....
4 grains heavier
.010" shorter oal
.008" shorter nose length
.002" longer boat tail
.004" shorter bearing surface
claimed .075 g1/ .036 g7 higher bc over the 143 gr ELD-X
the dimensions between the two bullets are minor with only 4 gr weight difference ....... Is that enough to generate the higher bc claims or is this bs ? What do you guys think ?
** note
This is in no way meant to disparage or support Hornady on their bc claims.....just wondering how they get a much higher bc with a bullet just 4 gr heavier, .010" shorter and other minor differences.....

Attachments

• Hornady 143 ELDX vs 147 ELDM-a.jpg
    Hornady 143 ELDX vs 147 ELDM-a.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 872
  • Hornady 143 ELDX vs 147 ELDM-b.jpg
    Hornady 143 ELDX vs 147 ELDM-b.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 308
  • Hornady 143 ELDX vs 147 ELDM-c.jpg
    Hornady 143 ELDX vs 147 ELDM-c.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 199
  • Hornady 143 ELDX vs 147 ELDM-d.jpg
    Hornady 143 ELDX vs 147 ELDM-d.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 517
Got a couple boxes of the new Hornady 147 gr ELD Match bullets the other day, wanted to see how they compared to the 143 gr ELD-X bullets , Hornady claims the 147 gr ELD Match bullet has a .697 g1 bc /.351 g7 bc vs the 143 gr ELD-X with .625 g1 bc/.315 g7 bc ..... I used a Hornady digital caliper and Hornady #5/26 comparator ( no bias. lol ) to get these numbers from 25 bullets, each picked at random from the box, in the dimensions pic shown were the most consistent numbers I got with several + - ..... Now I know these measurements are not perfectly accurate and you will get slightly different results, this was to satisfy my own curiosity and I figured may as well share my findings ....
6.5 mm Hornady bullets
4 grains heavier
.010" shorter oal
.002" longer boat tail
the dimensions between the two bullets are minor with only 4 gr weight difference ....... Is that enough to generate the higher bc claims or is this bs ? What do you guys think ?
** note
This is in no way meant to disparage or support Hornady on their bc claims.....just wondering how they get a much higher bc with a bullet just 4 gr heavier, .010" shorter and other minor differences.....
I'm not sure if the jacket thickness has anything to do with it or not... (Just speculating, I'm not sure it is thicker.) what blows my mind is, the 140 ELD has a higher BC across the board than the 143 ELD.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 179
I read most of the thread but can't find anything about anyone using 178gr 30cal in 300win mag? Hornady has no load data and I'm not even sure this round is intended for the caliber of rifle. Anyone have experience on this?

I read most of the thread but can't find anything about anyone using 178gr 30cal in 300win mag? Hornady has no load data and I'm not even sure this round is intended for the caliber of rifle. Anyone have experience on this?
I would bet that if you use the load data for the 180gr Interbond it will get you pretty close.

I'd back off a grain or two and then work up.

I use them in my short barreled '06 mountain rifle and they perform very well. As Wildrose says, just use the 180 data..........Rich

6.5 mm Hornady bullets
4 grains heavier
.010" shorter oal
.002" longer boat tail
** note

Very interesting. Thanks for taking the time to share your findings!

I'm not sure if the jacket thickness has anything to do with it or not... (Just speculating, I'm not sure it is thicker.) what blows my mind is, the 140 ELD has a higher BC across the board than the 143 ELD.

Where did you get those BC figures from?

Thank you.

Cool. Thank you. I am looking forward to the 147 ELD M and 143 ELD X landing on U.K. shores so that I can test both.

Tested the 147 GR ELD Match today in my cousin's 6.5-284 with 28" Krieger 1:7.5 twist 4 groove barrel. He shot 3 rounds on paper and 3 through the chrono. He shot around a .4 MOA group at 100 and his average velocity with the other 3 shots was around 2950fps, ES was about 18. Seems like a good load. He used 55gr of Retumbo, Nosler brass, and a Fed 210. Looking forward to seeing how they perform on whitetail this upcoming week.

I also am starting on a new project. I am rebarreling my 700 Long Range with a Bartlein 28" Sendero contour 1:9 .30cal and should have it ready to go in 2-3 weeks. I have a few hundred of the 208gr ELD Match bullets I am going to use. Factory barrel was a good 3/4 MOA shooter but I just want better accuracy and the Remington barrel fouled pretty quickly. Chambering it in .308 Norma Mag. An oddball, but I already have the reamer, Redding dies, and about 200 pieces of brass for it and my classic custom is in .308 Norma. It's a good shell and it makes sense from my stand point.

Tested the 147 GR ELD Match today in my cousin's 6.5-284 with 28" Krieger 1:7.5 twist 4 groove barrel. He shot 3 rounds on paper and 3 through the chrono. He shot around a .4 MOA group at 100 and his average velocity with the other 3 shots was around 2950fps, ES was about 18. Seems like a good load. He used 55gr of Retumbo, Nosler brass, and a Fed 210. Looking forward to seeing how they perform on whitetail this upcoming week.

I also am starting on a new project. I am rebarreling my 700 Long Range with a Bartlein 28" Sendero contour 1:9 .30cal and should have it ready to go in 2-3 weeks. I have a few hundred of the 208gr ELD Match bullets I am going to use. Factory barrel was a good 3/4 MOA shooter but I just want better accuracy and the Remington barrel fouled pretty quickly. Chambering it in .308 Norma Mag. An oddball, but I already have the reamer, Redding dies, and about 200 pieces of brass for it and my classic custom is in .308 Norma. It's a good shell and it makes sense from my stand point.
That 208 changed everything in my 30-06. I'm getting a average velocity of 2680fps with Reloader 17. That thing stays put in the wind..

Shot the 147 ELD-M in my .260 AI today.

Didn't have the best conditions, wind from 5 to 15 mph and about 15 degrees, but by timing my shots with the wind, I got some useable data.

This was a load work up for seating depth, and they do seem somewhat picky on the depth, though all loads shot under MOA. All loads were with 47.5 grains H-4831SC, and I had no pressure signs whatsoever. I shot 2 three shot groups of each seating depth, and adjusted up 1 MOA between groups, as to give two separate groups. As you can see with the .090" off groups, I'm glad I did this, as my first group was the best of the bunch, but this seems to be an anomaly. Judging by consistency, I'm going to say .050" off, or 2.865" OAL is where it is going to give me the best performance. Next, I'm going to do a charge work up over the chrono and see where I find the best accuracy/lowest SD, as well as max pressure. I'll update my findings there, but these bullets are looking promising.

I fired a group above the top left target with my current load with 140 Bergers, to compare to these. That load consistently shoots .3" every time I put it on paper, so that is what I'm shooting for with these 147 pills. If they will do that at 2900 fps or better, I will switch to the 147's.

Attachments

• 20161127_144614-1.jpg
    20161127_144614-1.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 155
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.