Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

The ELDX and ELDM 143 and 147 are identical in length according to the tech at Hornady.
I have been loading the 143's at .005" off the lands and shooting bugholes. They did not like .015-.020" etc., but I did not try jumping them a long way. Maybe I should?

I wouldn't change them if they are shooting good ha ha well that is good news, cuz that means I can get right out to the lands, and have about .005"-.010" for throat erosion before they wouldn't fit in my mag, if I seat them to touch the lands

If they are the same length though...where is the extra 4 grains going, and how is the BC .071 higher I wonder?? I'm really interested to see the profile of this pill in comparison to the 143....

I wouldn't change them if they are shooting good ha ha well that is good news, cuz that means I can get right out to the lands, and have about .005"-.010" for throat erosion before they wouldn't fit in my mag, if I seat them to touch the lands

I was thinking for extra room in the mag.......Rich

Wachsmann....You would probably get about 75-80' with 4 inches more barrel

If they are the same length though...where is the extra 4 grains going, and how is the BC .071 higher I wonder?? I'm really interested to see the profile of this pill in comparison to the 143....

If they're dimensionally the same, the higher BC is coming from the higher sectional density. It's heavier because there's more lead with less copper and plastic.

If they're dimensionally the same, the higher BC is coming from the higher sectional density. It's heavier because there's more lead with less copper and plastic.

Makes me wonder if someone goofed on the recipe and it wasn't found out till bullets were being tested for weight or some where after the fact ...:rolleyes:...:D...And this is how we came about to having the 147's.

Makes me wonder if someone goofed on the recipe and it wasn't found out till bullets were being tested for weight or some where after the fact ...:rolleyes:...:D...And this is how we came about to having the 147's.
Highly unlikely. The weight is the result of the architecture of the bullet and the materials used.

Odd bullet weights are nothing new at Hornady. My "go to" bullet for nearly three decades was the 154gr 7mm Interbond.

Could be. When I was still working we had a sawmill, round wood machine, planer and dry chain, kilns, and furniture parts plant. One time the saw mill made a mistake and made 9/4 lumber instead of 8/4 lumber or 10/4 lumber. The owner asked what I could do with it. I got on the horn and worked out a deal with one of our customers which supplied Sears. They decided we could make a one time run of unusual sized furniture for the discriminating buyer who wanted something larger than 8/4 but not a bulky as 10/4.

If this "new" line sells, I bet it will be the new normal.

A lot of people asking about the yoyo'ing BCs on the ELDs, this link explains some of it.

Ballistic Coefficient - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

What I don't understand is why inflate the match bullets listed bc to correspond with velocities and distances that nobody is going to use them for and then go and reduce the eld x BCs to more conservative values.. kudos for stating where the numbers come from but they should just put a 800 or 1000 yd avg at typical velocities on the box and not make people dig this stuff up. It seemed like they started on the strait and narrow and now are getting fishy with it.

Also, I think Rich covered it but the 147 is basically a 143 that has a thinner jacket and lead in the hp behind the tip according to George Gardener.

A lot of people asking about the yoyo'ing BCs on the ELDs, this link explains some of it.

Ballistic Coefficient - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

What I don't understand is why inflate the match bullets listed bc to correspond with velocities and distances that nobody is going to use them for and then go and reduce the eld x BCs to more conservative values.. kudos for stating where the numbers come from but they should just put a 800 or 1000 yd avg at typical velocities on the box and not make people dig this stuff up. It seemed like they started on the strait and narrow and now are getting fishy with it.

Also, I think Rich covered it but the 147 is basically a 143 that has a thinner jacket and lead in the hp behind the tip according to George Gardener.

I agree with the b.c. hoky poky! That stuff drives me nuts!......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.