Hogs- double tap'm?

I've had good luck with my 458 SOCOM in the AR15 platform, shoot 325 gr Hornady FTX and 500 gr round nose subsonic. However, I am mostly hunting brush country on foot with few shots over 100 yds.

You guys make shooting them in the head or neck sound like a piece of cake. If I was shooting daytime, in a blind, with a good rest, at a feeding hog, no problem. I am shooting at a very nervous hog on the move foraging. It's the dark of the moon and your using a Primos tripod and a Thermal, which the focus isn't great. You also have to pull the trigger when your partner gets to three. So head shots are out. I do need to try the Barnes TTSX. Steve, I might try that sometime.
I was going to suggest the TTSX in whatever caliber you are shooting.

Never shot one running but head down feeding 4inches behind the eye has never failed me with 308 and 338 win

Almost all of our shots are ether running or a very nervous hog and brush is not far away 10 + yards, so spray and pray is out of the question. shooting and dropping a hog in their tracks with one shot allows you to shoot and forget and move own to the next if you can.

Many times sows will stay in the brush and allow her piglets to feed so we have to search for her while they are feeding.

If we have a big sounder coming to the feeder, we will pour corn in a straight line to the stand and wait for them to line up and get more than one with one shot. for this a cartridge that will penetrate 2 or 3 pigs will need stopping power. Although The family record is not mine , I have killed 5 with a solid from my STW. and 4 with my 416. Using the right rifle bullet combination will allow multiple kills with one shot, the smaller cartridges just cant be expected to do this.

With hogs, it is a numbers game, the more the better.

J E CUSTOM

I've had good luck with my 458 SOCOM in the AR15 platform, shoot 325 gr Hornady FTX and 500 gr round nose subsonic. However, I am mostly hunting brush country on foot with few shots over 100 yds.

I forgot about the SOCOM, and the Beowulf . I have never tried either one but the ballistics tell me that they will do like the 450 Bushmaster does.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
I've been dropping them for years with 5.56 Barnes at 62gr. to 175 yds. Never had one get back up. Shot them in the ear,head,chest and right in the engine room. I suppose if you shot one in the butt it would probably keep going. It doesn't sound like a bullet issue as much as shot placement.
I also use the exact same combination. None of them get lost. Well placed 62 grain and 5.56 works well. I'm zeroed at 235 yds so it's basically flat from 40 to 235.

I have shot a few very large hogs and since I live in California I have to use copper. I have a Jp Lrp in .308 have shot them in shoulders and even a Texas heart shot. ( in the butt and out the chest) and have used Hornady either full boar or Hornady tap barrier which both use the gmx bullet all have been complete through and never more running than ten feet. They shoot decent groups at 100 (about 1 inch or less depending on me) lots of blood every time

You have plenty of fun that's for sure. Give the hammers a try. In your situation you will always loose a hog or two but you can limit that with a better bullet. Definitely give Steve's Bullets a try. Those hammers are no joke. You can look up my past posts and see the evolution of my bullet choices. So I'm never stuck with one brand as I'm always finding something that's worth trying if it works better I switch over.
At those distances the sledge hammer would be the ticket.
If you want to have them load to factory specs Suprior ammo will do that. I had them do it for a .358 Norma this winter.
Had him do one box starting the charge at what he's used for the Barnes of the same weight. Then go up .5gr every 5 Bullets. So 1.5 grain higher than the max he used for Barnes. Never saw pressure but got me in the park and worked great on the pigs and deer that he shot. Cheap enough also.

I do hog eradication on my ranch. I'm using a savage msr 10 chambered in .308. Up to now, I've been shooting Barnes 168 grain ttsx. Pretty much every hog I shoot is DRT. Head shots and shoulder shots the same. Now I roll my own. Still using the 168 grain ttsx because it's deadly accurate in my rifle.
I can also shoot doubles with this bullet if the hogs line up right.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.