Hogs- double tap'm?

Another thing I thought I might try is double tapping them with a 220 grain sub sonic from a 300 blackout. Hoping going sub sonic and suppressed would offer an advantage. Is silence truly golden?

Respectfully and just my opinion, your mileage may vary,,,
I believe you are shooting them a little to far back. Hogs heart and lungs are more forward than other game animals like deer, mostly behind the shoulder. With a 308 and no head-neck shot, go for point of shoulder and break both shoulders. Lose some meat but drop right there. I use 165 SGK. Big hogs sometimes I don't get an exit. Shot 50+ in Nov and Dec.
RP

But generally shooting a 308, or just about any good hit in the heart lung area, he is dead or out of steam when you get there. Biggest problem is the fat or hide sealing up the wounds and no blood trail, hence the Jagds and a much better recovery ratio. But a big ****ed hog and a Jagd or three is a sight to behold.

WOW! That Barnes TTSX is a winner. Got two big sows this past week end. One with a 308 168 grain and the other with an 85 grain 556. The 308 was a heart shot that exited breaking the opposite leg. The 556 was a butt shot that passed through. Both left a blood trail a blind man( me) could follow. They both went about 30 yards. Thanks gentlemen. I too highly recommend them.

Geo4061, I'm glad you posted this. Hogs are tough. They are far too often underestimated. Shooting them in the day time is one thing. If they run off 30 yards, no big deal...you can find them. But night time hunting is a whole 'nother game! You want them dead right there (DRT) as 'tracking' in the Texas brush at night is asking to be bit by a rattler or copperhead, stung by a scorpion, or having a tarantula take you for a test ride. SCREW THAT. Besides, all brush in TX has thorns of some kind (or so it seems.) So...what to do?

You were on the right track with the Partitions. Awesome choice. Or the TTSX, which you have found is a fast shooting, deep penetrating round that expands well, so win-win. If you reloaded, those Hammer bullets are accurate as all get out AND they kill fast, too.

The best advice I read was to shoot them farther forward than you would a deer. I shot a hog 'behind the shoulder' on a slightly angling forward shot (.308 Win) and the bullet went completely through and we saw lung tissue in the blood trail. Should have been 'game over'. Tracked that dang thing for at least two hours and it was still alive and running off again when we caught up to it. Friend finished it off with .243Win but the lesson was learned - shoot hogs more forward in the chest as the lungs don't seem to go back as far as they do on other animals.

Same friend shot a hog with his 7mm RM at night on a (dry) river bottom and the hog jumped straight in the air and when it came down, came right at him! He cranked in another round and shot it again 10 feet away and it dropped, but that was more excitement than he was expecting. Up until that point in his life, everything he shot with that 7mm RM just died right there. But not a hog. They are tough and tenacious little bastards. Some are courteous and flop right there but a surprising percentage don't go down and run off. If they go down but are still moving, they always warrant another bullet (or two?) No worries about lost meat - hogs are like Doritos - they'll make more! Plenty of meat if you shoot enough of them, right?

Since those early experiences, we've gone for head shots ever since but we are lucky to be hunting from blinds with a place to rest the gun for a steady shot and the feeders have green LEDs that provide enough light for a precise shot. Head is dead. Perfect for night hogs, but it doesn't sound like your setup is allowing for that level of precision so...TTSX or Partitions placed farther forward in the chest is next best bet. And - since you have a semiauto - a second shot (if possible) is never wrong.

Thanks for bringing up some fun and frustrating memories. Hogs are unique.

Until I can build my 6.5 Grendel, I am using an AR in 223, I bait my area for several days or weeks, depending on how much activity, then sit downwind from 60 to 100yds off with my Caldwell Fieldpod. I only shoot at the base of head/neck, one shot they drop in there tracks and make no sound, I dropped three in the same location last time I was out, my rig is the AR 223 with a Sightmark Photon 6x50 IR with the 940nm LED. It works for me and just take my time and squeeze the trigger .

IMG_20190316_215149184.jpg IMG_20190316_215322282.jpg IMG_20190316_215039266.jpg

You guys make shooting them in the head or neck sound like a piece of cake. If I was shooting daytime, in a blind, with a good rest, at a feeding hog, no problem. I am shooting at a very nervous hog on the move foraging. It's the dark of the moon and your using a Primos tripod and a Thermal, which the focus isn't great. You also have to pull the trigger when your partner gets to three. So head shots are out. I do need to try the Barnes TTSX. Steve, I might try that sometime.
I have shot a couple with 130 gr Barnes TSX and TTSX out of a 250 at distances 180 - 240 yards. Pass through, nickle size in, quarter size out, total destruction of all internals they encountered, minimal meat damage, DRT.

Look, I'm a one shot one kill kind of guy. Why make something suffer, you know? It's less dramatic, and you don't have to rush for followup shots. Does it always work out that way? No way.

Now, having said that- Why shoot'em once when you can shoot'em twice?

Someone here said they had success with 7.62 x 39, a good AR round, relatively cheap.

The only ammo I have found for the 7.62x39 is/was the Hanson hunting ammo that Is not available anymore as far as I know. These were soft point. Most of the ammo for that round is FMJs and will penetrate but not expand very well if at all.

So It would not be one of the recommended cartridges unless you loaded it with hunting bullets.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.