Hogs- double tap'm?

Cowboy what factory ammo were you buying? snox what does Superior charge you for a box? Steve what does a full load work up cost and how long does it take?

[QUOTE="geo4061, post: 1624110, member: 81625"Steve what does a full load work up cost and how long does it take?[/QUOTE]
I was wondering the same thing. I was also curious if you send along the recipe. I got a hundred custom rounds for a different gun so called the folks that loaded them but all their records went up in a fire.

Cowboy what factory ammo were you buying? snox what does Superior charge you for a box? Steve what does a full load work up cost and how long does it take?
Custom ammo has a $350 load development charge plus the cost of a min order of 100 rounds of ammo. Ammo cost is most effected by brass price. Most cartridges come in about 5-6$ each for ammo. We try to use top quality brass.

[QUOTE="geo4061, post: 1624110, member: 81625"Steve what does a full load work up cost and how long does it take?
I was wondering the same thing. I was also curious if you send along the recipe. I got a hundred custom rounds for a different gun so called the folks that loaded them but all their records went up in a fire.[/QUOTE]
We absolutely share the load data. We put it inside each ammo box.

[/QUOTE]
We absolutely share the load data. We put it inside each ammo box.[/QUOTE]
Would there be load development for all around hunting? I may use my .308 for close in and also at maybe 500 yds+. Same with a Mountain Rifles Inc .300 Wby. It sounds very interesting and doable to have ammo professionally developed. I'm looking for the best "bang for the buck" ( pun intended)
Can you even ship ammo to the people's republic of California?

Last edited:
Just curious about the bullet itself. Hornady only shows a Match bullet in 155 grains. Not to start a firestorm about Match versus Hunting BUT maybe the bullet itself is either not tough enough, doesn't expand well enough, stays together enough and so on versus a mono or more solid bullet designed for tough game like hogs.

I know The problem with Hornady is partly my fault. I bought the American Gunner 155 grain BTHP. They were cheap and very accurate so I gave them every chance and then some. Do ya'll like the 150 grainers better than the 168's?

I've never shot the 150s, but like I said, every hog I've shot with the 168s dropped right were he stood, and I've killed 300-350 over the last year.

I know The problem with Hornady is partly my fault. I bought the American Gunner 155 grain BTHP. They were cheap and very accurate so I gave them every chance and then some. Do ya'll like the 150 grainers better than the 168's?
If this is aimed at the Barnes TTSX this is my "take". The 150 will be travelling faster at impact. Hence there will be more hydraulic shock (not to be confused with FPE) delivered, and in my experience it matters. Either will provide more than adequate penetration.

I'm not sure what Suprior would charge for a .308. The .358 Norma mag is an expensive round. I believe he charged me $128 per box for the loaded hammers. That's a lot but seeing that the factory ammo he was buying for it from double tap the year before was less than $20 cheaper it's not bad. I know the 6.5 creed was well priced when we talked but can't remember. Guys super nice worth a call.

We absolutely share the load data. We put it inside each ammo box.[/QUOTE]
Would there be load development for all around hunting? I may use my .308 for close in and also at maybe 500 yds+. Same with a Mountain Rifles Inc .300 Wby. It sounds very interesting and doable to have ammo professionally developed. I'm looking for the best "bang for the buck" ( pun intended)
Can you even ship ammo to the people's republic of California?[/QUOTE]
I know nothing!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.