Hogs- double tap'm?

geo4061

My brother and I just got back from our yearly hog hunt. Once again we lost as many hogs as we found. We knocked them down then they would shake it off, get up, and run to the nearest cedar thicket. No blood trail. I know shoot them in the head. Well, age,a nervous hog, two of us shooting on the call three, and shooting off a tripod in the middle of the night at 100 yards isn't conducive for brain shots. We need to change something. Perhaps a factory 308 bullet that will pass through leaving a blood trail. However, my latest thinking is double tapping them. We are using AR's and I believe I can make a good shoot the first time then just hit them center mass on the second. Thoughts? IMG_6585.JPG

Are you using an AR 15 or an AR 10 ?

The 223 will not stop them unless you can get a good head shot.
You will need a 6.5 or bigger. The only rounds I have found in the
AR 15's that seem capable of dropping the big pigs is the 6.8 SPC and the 450 Bushmaster. there are many good cartridges in the AR 10's,
7/08 is one of my favorites.

J E CUSTOM

Hogs can be tough to put down shot placement is key however look like you need to get a new tool in 6.5 or maybe more to get that done.

DPMS SASS 308 (AR 10), Reap ir, Suppressed on the darkest night, Standing using Primos tri pod, 155 grain Hornady's range 100 to 150 yards. I would be up for a new tool if it was the answer ,however, it would have to work with the 30 cal suppressor.

The 308 is definitely good to go, no need to switch. I've dropped plenty with 308 and even more with 223/5.56. I think hitting Steve up for a better bullet is the answer.

I think your right, however, I don't want to start reloading for my AR's. Steve do you have anyone that will do a factory spec load for you?

J E, I know you have done extensive testing with factory ammo and bullets. Plus you have seen the terminal damage on hundreds of hogs. I tried the Hornady HP, Accubond wouldn't cycle, and the Remington 180 would not group. I ordered federal nosler partition 180 to try next. Thoughts on other factory ammo.

Are you using an AR 15 or an AR 10 ?

The 223 will not stop them unless you can get a good head shot.
You will need a 6.5 or bigger. The only rounds I have found in the
AR 15's that seem capable of dropping the big pigs is the 6.8 SPC and the 450 Bushmaster. there are many good cartridges in the AR 10's,
7/08 is one of my favorites.

J E CUSTOM
Someone here said they had success with 7.62 x 39, a good AR round, relatively cheap.

I've been dropping them for years with 5.56 Barnes at 62gr. to 175 yds. Never had one get back up. Shot them in the ear,head,chest and right in the engine room. I suppose if you shot one in the butt it would probably keep going. It doesn't sound like a bullet issue as much as shot placement.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.