Hogdon extreme powder question

Supertrucker

I shoot 7STW and 280 Ackley. RL 22 shoots with both accuracy and speed, but I have read that the "H" extreme powders are better for long range accuracy because they are more temperment to temp changes. H1000 shoots awesome in my 7STW, but is at least 100 fps slower than the RL22. H4831sc shoots great in my 280AI, but is also slower in velocity. If both the RL22 and the H powders shoot for the same accuracy, would I be better off to forget about the 100 or so fps loss?

Do what makes you feel better and don't look back.

All powder, and I mean all, are temperature sensitive. I think its a law of nature or something.

I use RL 22 a bunch and don't worry about it. I'm a velocity and accuracy hawg. Accuracy w/o velocity makes me feel like I'm settling for some thing less.........

I don't worry about temperature sensitivity. The other day it was 38 deg and I was shooting H4350 in my .300 and IMR4350 in my 7mmRM and they both shot great. Couldn't tell the difference on target. It's spozed to be around 40 deg tomorrow and I'm breaking out a new can of RL25 to try in my .300. Cold weather be ****! I can't stay inside with the wife and kids all winter and I'll be dog-gone if I'll let Hodgdon control my shooting!! JohnnyK.

I think the problem is when there is a large difference between sight in conditions and Field conditions. If there is not much difference between the two then no problem.

However if you do load developement work during hot weather and do not check your load or alter yor sight in point during winter, then your rifle may shoot low at long range. If you use a temperature sensitive powder.

An Extreme powder should hit closer to the mark as its velocity should not change much.

Whatever powder you use for long range shooting. Prior to working out your dope, you need to accurately know the muzzle velocity and the zero distance.

A temperature sensitive powder could change both.

I think you will get a larger difference with temp on external ballistics due to air density rather then velosity loss...no stopping that. If you are worried about the temp of your loaded powder, you can control that. Keep them warm in the winter and cool in the summer instead of just setting them in the weather.
And don't let them sit in a warm chamber verly long.

Last edited:
Bravo4 hit on something that I do also. I do make sure that my loaded ammo doesn't sit in direct sunlight (heat) during the summer and I don't leave it outside during the winter to face the cold and elements.
Usually I only take three rounds outside with me at the time, shoot those and take any notes I need to. Then I put those cases up and get three more rounds. This gives the barrel time to cool down. Summer or winter, I just stick the fresh rounds in a pocket.
Of course not everyone has a range at home where they can do this, but it does make load development much more convenient. I did the local (20mi) range thing in Wa. and did not like that at all. JohnnyK.

I shoot 7STW and 280 Ackley. RL 22 shoots with both accuracy and speed, but I have read that the "H" extreme powders are better for long range accuracy because they are more temperment to temp changes. H1000 shoots awesome in my 7STW, but is at least 100 fps slower than the RL22. H4831sc shoots great in my 280AI, but is also slower in velocity. If both the RL22 and the H powders shoot for the same accuracy, would I be better off to forget about the 100 or so fps loss?

Velocity is related to pressure. so if one load is faster then pressure is higher and burn rate is
probably faster with the same powder charge.

Also primers can effect the way different powders react.

Most powders show little velocity change at lower temps (O to 50 degrees) but from 50 to 100
degrees they change a great deal. where they get bad is from 80 to 120 degrees.

This is where the extream powders make a difference .

Some of my loads will change velocity as much as 150 ft/sec using ball powder and non extream
powders over a temp range of 20 to 100 degrees F . one of my pet loads for the 7/08 uses
H414 (ball powder) and will go from 3010 ft/sec @ 30 degrees to 3158 @ 100 degrees.

The same pressure load with Varget only changes 18 ft/sec over this range of temperatures
so I don't have to worry about keeping my amo warm or cool.

Some rifles prefer other powders and I end up dealing with them but only if I can't make
the extream powders work.

J E CUSTOM

One of my pet loads for the 7/08 uses H414 (ball powder) and will go from 3010 ft/sec @ 30 degrees to 3158 @ 100 degrees.
I've had that experience with H414 in my big centerfire .22 varmint rifles. Near max loads worked up in cool weather will lock up bolts when used on hot Western PD hunts.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.