Hit the brakes!

I had a 3 port beast turned down to same diameter as barrel on a Remington aac looks great recoil almost nothing but it's really really loud oh it's a 308 win caliber

Pic of it just after we got it done

Attachments

• E47EE945-D058-41BE-B550-AC9DE0753115.jpeg
    E47EE945-D058-41BE-B550-AC9DE0753115.jpeg
    388.5 KB · Views: 95
I have One on my 300 RUM. It works well. Finish blends in with the factory mat stainless finish. Only problem is it required a 1/2x28 muzzle threading. So finding a muzzle device for my suppressor has been tricky.

It would be interesting to see a Mag-Na-Ported barrel compared. Maybe just have a brake blank Mag-Na-Ported so that it is truly apples to apples. Then turn the blank down to barrel contour and test it again.

Seems like this comparatively old method of recoil reduction would be a good option for those who don't want a brake bulge at the muzzle of a classic looking rifle.

Ive got 3 Vais brakes and love them.
2 are turned to match barrel contours, but all my barrels are about .800 at the crown. Concussion and noise not noticeable. Barrel stays still. Can see impacts.

I have Vais on three of my hunting rifles and love them. All are blended with the barrel contour seamlessly. I have done hundreds of brake installs and there are plenty of brakes that do more reduction but for hunting rigs with lighter contour barrels, Vais is the brake I recommend.

Have any of you ever installed a brake that was turned down to the muzzle diameter? If so, what were the effects? I don't like the look of that flared barrel end, it reminds me of bell-bottomed pants.
Yes I have one Tig welded and blended in to my 300 Weatherby mag, stainless fluted barrel. Matches beautifully, no lost metal..CHANGES NOTHING! Except recoil ...lol. Down about 45%! No changes to accuracy!

I have an 8mm Rem Mag with a medium contour barrel [.770 at muzzle]
Without a brake it was pretty "snappy" at the back end when shooting
the 220 A-Frame at 3100 fps.

I had a contoured brake fitted. It is the same diameter as the muzzle and
you cannot tell where it meets the barrel. It really tamed that big 8.

It is about at 270/280 levels now, and is easy to handle, even on the bench.
Accuracy was not affected at all, but, of course, noise levels are up a bit. Dave.

Are you looking for esthetics or effectiveness? The only rifle (it came with it) I have that is turned down to match the muzzle diameter is with a Vais brake, and it sucks compared to my other muzzle brakes.
Agreed. I have a nice looking Vais on one of my 300RUMs, and although that rifle is slightly heavier than my other 300, the recoil is noticeably more than the lighter rifle with a better brake.

Yes I have one Tig welded and blended in to my 300 Weatherby mag, stainless fluted barrel. Matches beautifully, no lost metal..CHANGES NOTHING! Except recoil ...lol. Down about 45%! No changes to accuracy!
Can you send me photo of your 300wby set up? Marnold31
could you send me a photo of your set up as I also have a 300wby?

I built one similar to a Vias for a Rem. 700. Use used 6al-4v titanium. Works fine but LOUD!

Attachments

• 20150716_191306.jpg
    20150716_191306.jpg
    799.6 KB · Views: 89
Have any of you ever installed a brake that was turned down to the muzzle diameter? If so, what were the effects? I don't like the look of that flared barrel end, it reminds me of bell-bottomed pants.
Had a Winchester Fetherweight in 300 WM. And just lost two disk in neck at the time. Had Duckworths in Denver Co put on a KDF radial break on the rifle. Shot the gun for years and Never had a red or bruised shoulder in some 30 years. Could not hardly tell where the Break started and was Not much larger around than the stock Barrol . KDF is in Texas, still making some of the Best breaks around. Take a look at their work. Have a Friend that just had pretty much the same break put on a new rifle and can't tell start from stop. And NO recoil. Also a 300 WM!
good luck
jack

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.