338 BERGER VLD'S- When will they hit the market ??

I recieved an email this am from Walt Berger (himself) stating that the 250 Gr. .338 VLD bullets will NOT be out as hoped for the 2008 hunting season. Most likly six to eigh months out.ge(

I was hoping for some for the new .338 Lapua I just built.

Night Shooter
Montana

a 338 300gr A-max...now that's very appealing!

The BC sounds great but I've never had any luck with Hornady bullets. Not their 7mm Interbonds, 375 Core Locks, and many years ago - their 225 gr Spire Point 338s. Can you get their A-max's to shoot?

Peirre and JP Lucas are shooting the 208 Amaxs and winning all the time and way more than their fair share.

I watched Hornady reps shoot the prototype 300 AMAX three yrs ago in an AR 30 and shoot 3/4-1 MOA groups (5 and 10 shot) at 1000 in terrible conditions. The AR 30 in 338 lapu is not exactly known for gilt edge accuracy.

Hornady bullets tend to be on the fat side and do not like tight bores. Pierre had difficulty with the 208 in a Broughton until they discovered it was tight. Tim is supposed to have a true 308 button now. they switched to Harts which are true 308s and problem stopped.

BH

If the Hornady reps were shooting the 300g amax 3 years ago, why the hell are they taking so long getting it to the public??

I doubt it takes 3 years to get bullets up and running...

Seems like these bullet companies (Berger/Hornady) have more important bullets to build.

If the Hornady reps were shooting the 300g amax 3 years ago, why the hell are they taking so long getting it to the public??

I doubt it takes 3 years to get bullets up and running...

Seems like these bullet companies (Berger/Hornady) have more important bullets to build.

Have to go where the money is...simple numbers game. Anything .30 caliber and under will sell much better. I just hope they get around to bringing it out eventually.

Walt Berger e-mail said the same thing, hornady e-mail said there 300g A-max isn't ready and do not know when it will.

Has anyboody had any long range hunting luck with 30cal 208g A-max? Do you need to seat them long like a berger Vld? Anybody shot them in a semi-automatic?
Thanks, Gabe

The Amax bullets are shooting very well in my rifles. I have the 162's loaded in my 7stw, 208's in my 300 ultramag and the 250 match bullets loaded in my 338-378 at 3328 fps. All will be tested on hunts this fall. I have had excellent results with various hornady bullets for 40 years. I found out long ago there is not much need for premium bullets with the tough hornady interbond jackets. Perfest mushrooms every time with all my big fast rifles.

Hornady bullets tend to be on the fat side and do not like tight bores. Pierre had difficulty with the 208 in a Broughton until they discovered it was tight. Tim is supposed to have a true 308 button now. they switched to Harts which are true 308s and problem stopped.

BH

Well my 300 WM has a Lilja barrel. I'd like to try the 208 A-max but it sounds like the odds are against me since Lilja barrels are known to be tight-bored. But my 338 Edge has a Hart barrel, so if Hornady ever markets a 300 gr 338 I may need to give them another try.

Thanks to all for the feedback. Appreciate it.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts