high pressure signs

chuckt56

has any one ever had this, i have some 300 win mags nickle federal brand and ever since i bought them and reloaded them i have been getting random signs of high pressure only in the necks (split vertically) and it is only on the nickle coated one i have regular brass(federal also) and this has never happened with them no high pressure signs at all. i neck reamed most of them to get the nickle off the necks and that seemed to help. i was wondering if any one has had this happen before? i heard at one time a couple of years ago that the nickle coating causes this that is why i neck reamed them is there any truth to this?

Split necks are NOT high pressure signs. Your necks are just work hardened and need to be annealed.

This has been a problem for sometime now. The application of nickel on brass is a plating process. The brass and nickel expand at different rates through pressure and temperature. If the plating process impregnates into the brass deeper than normal the nickel will actually start the pull the brass apart upon expansion. If it does not impregnate enough the nickel will flake off during the resizing process. ESPECIALLY in the neck area. Nickel plated brass is like a Cubic Zirconia ring. Nice looking until you find out it is worthless!:cool:

yea, that is the only time i have bought nickle brass and haven't since and i won't buy it again makes sense about the plating process i have been shooting what i have left and tossing it after firing it luckily i only bought one box a couple of years ago and checked them as i do all of my brass after shooting. the only reason i bought them is thinking that they would look good and less cleaning, they do look good but the trade off isn't worth it. thanks for the replies every one!

I just tossed 100 nickel fed 338 win's because of this. I've never had trouble with rem or win nickel brass, but fed will actually neck crack as it sits on the shelf loaded. Annealing may help, but when they are of poor enough quality that they'll crack sitting, it's probably best to be done with it and find other brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.