high pressure signs factory ammo

CHJ

1 want to start reloading for my 243 1 was sorting my brass and noticed high pressure signs on almost every case . primers backed out and flattened and cases stretched . why would factory ammo from all different manufacturers show high pressure signs? thank you

I have seen this as im sure many on here have too. Without knowing more specifics i dont wanna tell you whats going on in your rifle. In my rifles where ive seen this its almost always seems to stem from excessive headspace. It seems common practice for factories to chamber rifles on the high and produce cases on the low. It can result in flattened primers and strecthed cases, but the ammo always fits and fires, and seldom have i seen factory offerrings that i felt were unsafe. Biggest problem is loose primer pockets and reduced brass life.

thank you very helpful , short of a new barrel I'm stuck with this right? BTW this is a Ruger American I would be happy with 1M0A do you think this is a reasonable goal? thanks again

thank you very helpful , short of a new barrel I'm stuck with this right? BTW this is a Ruger American I would be happy with 1M0A do you think this is a reasonable goal? thanks again

Call ruger and explain it to them. Is it stretching the case severely if its just fire forming to the chamber then I would just neck size your cases and you'll be fine for a few firings then you might have to bump the shoulders back when they become hard to chamber. For the flat primers a lot of factory ammo fired in my rifles have flat primers. But no other sign of pressure (ejector marks, sticky bolt etc.) The factory ammo is sized to fit any rifle so the excess head space can cause the primer to blow out of the pocket slightly upon firing and when the case slams back into the bolt face it rams the primer back into the pocket and flattens the primer. I don't get to excited with factory ammo and flat primers....

If they won't help the american has a barrel nut so it should be easy for a smith to set headspace.

CHJ, use the gauge to check the head space,I don't think the Ruger American has a barrel nut. Perhaps a call to Ruger is in order in any case. Be sure to document the facts since they will have a few question. Good luck

The ruger american absolutely has a barrel nut. its just smooth for cosmetic reasons. Go to the Firing Line forum check out Ruger American barrel removal.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.