Hexagonal Boron Nitride

Stumbled onto this thread.

A treasure of info.

I'm gonna get some of this stuff and give it a go in my big girl.

We're shooting CEB 377s with 144-150 gr of H-50 BMG for velocities in the range of 2975 to 3184.

CEBs are machined thus have super fine machine marks which may well lead to increased copper fouling. The few shot's I'm fired seem to copper foul considerably more than the 350 SMKs.

It certainly looks like the HBN will allow a reduction of velocity to about 3125 which seems plenty to me, and give those pricey cases a bit of a longer life.

The CEBs shoot great in the 10 twist Pac Nor.

We'll see what happens.....
So far the CEBs I've coated work very well.

Yes the seating pressure is noticeably less and more consistent, which I think translated into more consistent release, therefore better es numbers.

Cliff

Does a shooter get the added performance with out treating the barrel? In other words. Can you just treat bullets and get the benefits?

Steve

Another question. I have used Gun Juice for treating barrels in the past and been very happy. That stuff is supposed to treat on the molecular level. Wonder if it would coat bullets too?

Hope I haven't hijacked my own thread.

Steve

I have used Gun Juice for treating barrels in the past and been very happy. That stuff is supposed to treat on the molecular level. Wonder if it would coat bullets too?

Steve

Heat is required to 'set' Gun Juice to the surface it coats. You might be able to do it with a heat gun or hair dryer, but it would be a messy hassle compared to coating the bullets with HBN.

I'm going to coat my bores with HBN, in addition to the bullets, because the benefit of HBN is realized when it's placed between the bearing surface of the bullets and the steel bore. It's a straighforward, quick step to coat the entire length of a freshly cleaned bore, so why not coat both surfaces? Coating the bore is a single step process. Once the bore is coated, you shoot HBN coated bullets until you decide it's time for a thorough bore cleaning before you might decide to retreat the bore with HBN again. The bore shouldn't need to be cleaned as often due to reduced carbon/copper fouling buildup, compared to shooting non-coated bullets. Some competition shooters were concluding they didn't need to clean their bore between rounds, because their bores were remaining clean enough that they weren't able to see any benefit/improvement to cleaning after every round.

I'd estimate approx 40% of the HBN bullet coating Threads I read included some discussion of treating the bore also. The rest only discussed HBN treatment of bullets. Never read a single thread that attempted to explain why a thoroughly cleaned bore should not be coated with HBN.

bulletcoatings.com is selling HBN equipment and kits for coating bores, in addition to bullets. https://www.bulletcoatings.com/xcart/home.php?cat=253

BN is easy to apply. You really can't F it up too bad.

I use it in only one caliber - 243AI.
Compared to all of my other rifles, the one I use BN in is the sasiest
to clean. But that's hardly a benefit worth worrying about -- IMO cleaning just isn't that hard.

I was swayed by all of the speed-burner velocities people can get with BN.
But at the end of the day, I prefer not to run my 243AI hard anyway, so the BN
is just a habit. Unless I see some magical barrel life (yet to be determined) I
will drop BN for my next reload batch.

Here's a tip. It's recommended that the bullets be grease free prior to HBN coating. Bullets that I'd handled a lot, like Berger bullets I had meplat uniformed and hollowpointed prior to HBN coating, I washed in acetone and then dried in the oven prior to HBN coating.

I had about 35 7mm 162gr Amax bullets in an opened box that had been handled to some extent - the extent unknown. I decided to wash them in acetone and the plastic tips swelled and deformed a little in the solvent.

TIP: If you're going to HBN coat plastic-tipped bullets, coat them straight out of the boxes prior to handling them a lot. lightbulb Acetone may swell the plastic tips. I have some unopened boxes of Amax and Nosler LRAB bullets that will be treated straight out of the boxes, at the time I open them.

Last edited:
Nothing really stick to oil. Think of it this way. Get a bucket of lard, wheel bearing grease and dump a tube of super glue on it! Get the picture.

You can coat old bullets that have been handled if you tumble them in walnut media.

I jumped on the HBN train and tried it in my 270 Sherman with 165 matrix. I got similar results that most have found here... I had been getting 2993 fps with no coatings using 69.7 grains rl33. I cleaned the rifle and got bullets coated a couple days ago. Like others have said the first shot with the treated bore and bullet was fast (2997fps) and the following shots were2975 and 2969fps. I know i should have ran more to get better results (more trigger time later gun)) The following 2 shots were only 6fps different!!!

I also did this in my 300 Dakota and 243 with similar results. Seems like good stuff.

Just thought I would share