Hexagonal Boron Nitride

I have been recently testing some monolithic copper bullets and comparing HBN and not HBN'd.

The jury is still out on this observation but I "think" I notice a velocity difference due to the quality or depth of the HBN coating.

With a long tumbling duration ES is say 5 and MV is 3128.

With a very short tumble duration ES is again say 5 with a MV of 3118.

The pattern is very consistent.

This is with 400 class bullets.

It's quite nifty that components, powder and technology is available to notice things such as this.

I think hbn is a bunch of hoopla. I tried coating bullets every way possible and saw 0 results that could be verified.

I have nothing to say hbn cause I've never used it but I know without question that DANZAC will completely cut all copper fouling in a barrel even with Barnes X bullets and that's verifiable with my bore scope over the last 30+ years, I've seen the throats of barrels with and without MOLY/DANZAC be used over extended years and my scope says the amount of wear and tear is far less...the problem is that most tried it for a week or month and then complain they can't get the barrel clean and give up, that's the idea, the DANZAC/MOLY is supposed to fill in all the little scratches, marks, pits .... I've never stopped using it and still do today in all my factory barrels, custom rebarrels of every manufacturer, it does work and my bore scope tells me so....just give it some time, don't even try to clean every speck out and it won't hold water despite what all the so called know it alls said it would. Again I've never used hbn and know nothing about it but the other two works just fine.

I am fortunate enough to be able to fire 2K-4K rounds per year at gophers and prairie dogs. My primary rifle is chambered in 6x45 and accounts for the vast majority of rounds fired. My current barrel has 15,200 rounds through it and has been set back twice (once at 7K and again at 15K). A typical shot string between cleaning is 250 rounds or lunch time. I was never able to maintain accuracy for 100 rounds prior to using a bullet coating.

Honestly, in my rifles, I have not noticed much difference in velocity or pressure. I have noticed better velocity extreme spreads and lower standard deviations in addition to making my cleaning routine nearly idiot proof. Even on hot days when I am cooling my barrel with ice water in a tall bucket; all I do is swab the barrel with one patch loaded with HBN and go right back to shooting.
John

So I did a test. Took a 300wsm Browning X bolt LRH and shot a control group.
With clean barrel. Velocities are as follows with bare barrel and bullets with known load that is minute of deer.
3007 no idea what this was.
Next group is barrel cleaned copper etc with clean patches as end result. Followed by two passes with HBN alcohol solution. Same bullets coated vibratory style no media.
3005 cold fouled 45 minute rest. Impact in group of following 5 shots.

Improved about .25 moa. Did measure but could tel by looking at target. Velocities told me a lot!

Yes, the velocities with the HBN coated bullets was much more uniform, if I understand your post correctly. Lower ES/SD if very commonly reported. Which is a good thing for long range hunting/shooting. Bump your powder charge up a little if you want to re-gain your former uncoated bullet velocity.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.