Hexagonal Boron Nitride

toliver

How many of you are using HBN, and if you did why did you stop using it. I've been contemplating using it, and have some just have been hesitant. I was going to coat barrel and bullets. Is it worth the effort?

Read this Thread:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/hexagonal-boron-nitride-151457/

The more you shoot, and the more serious you are about shooting, the more "worth it" it is. It's a relatively straightforward, painless process.

Benefits:
Lower ES/SD - more consistent MV
First cold bore shot hits same POI as following shots (per David Tubbs)
Less bore fouling - less barrel cleaning
Can provide an additional 25-50 fps (approximate) MV

Possibly less throat erosion and longer bore/throat life...

The first four benefits are pretty well established.
The fifth one, less well established to my way of thinking.

Those are all of the reasons why I guess I was thinking of using it. I'm wondering if it is still holding on since about a year ago when I last read something. Thanks for the info I guess I will give it a whirl!

David Tubbs and others have been using it for more like 8 years. If he's still using it in competitive shoots, he must believe there are benefits.

I have been using HBN on most of my high powered rifle bullets for five years now. The main things that sold me were the longer shot strings between cleaning and lower ES/SD.

I've been using good old fashion DANZAC since we all first heard of it and love it t, without question it prolongs barrel life, time between cleanings, with a bore scope far less spider cracking in throat area, in my opinion it's the best move I ever made and haven't shot a naked bullet in 30 years...I DANZAC my hunting bullets also myself, partitions and x-bullets, far less copper fouling in rough hunting barrels ...I know it has another name these days but my old mind is refusing to recall the new name.

That I believe is tungsten disulfied, or ws2. I'm going to chrony a 300 wsm with naked bullets, then coat things and see if I get the velocity drop then go from there i guess. It seems like it should be beneficial given everyone's results so far. I ordered enough to keep me going for a spell.

I've been using good old fashion DANZAC since we all first heard of it and love it t, without question it prolongs barrel life, time between cleanings, with a bore scope far less spider cracking in throat area,...

I was hoping some would sound in on the affect on bore and throat life. Sounds promising.

I started using the boron nitride recently in a borrowed .308 with Sierra 155 grain plastic tip boat tail bullets. A twelve shot string averaged 2,808 feet per second in an 18" barrel. No indication of high pressure to me, but what do I know. The bolt worked like factory loads. Since I am new to both the nitride and the .308 is this about what one would expect without the coating?

Wildcater, the thread on LRH is long but full of info. One can expect lower ES on cold bore and follow up shots. Another interesting point was the bond that forms on loaded ammo when it has sat for a while between the bullet and brass case. You may notice it if you pull the bullets or if you seat them a little deeper, you can feel it and sometimes hear it snap when it breaks free. That would have the effect of higher neck tension, thus causing higher ES. The HBN also helps prevent that bond. Also lubing the inside of the neck with something like Imperial wax(spin it on a Q-tip) before seating the bullet seems the help. Do that after dumping the powder in, ask me how I know that.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.